ArcaneArchery
 


Costume :Pyro
Variant :Red
Source :Team Fortress 2
Progress :Complete
Worn At :London MCM Expo May 2012


Costume Photos

Team Fortress Group

Relaxed Pyro

Pyro Gloves

Pyro Grenades

Reference - Pyro front

Red Pyro Back View

Red Pyro Front View

 


Costume Information

General
Cost : £100
Time Taken : 4 months

Description
Worn to:
London MCM Expo May 2012 - Saturday
London MCM Expo October 2012 - Saturday
--------------------------

This was my first cosplay costume and was more of an assembly job where I purchased most items from Ebay and them modified them as required. I chose this costume because I thought it would not be too difficult to create and I knew that there would be other Team Fortress cosplayers to mingle with at the MCM Expo. Plus the Pyro is my favourite class in TF2.

The most difficult part was the fuel tank backpack, which took me a long time to figure out how to do, and then even longer to actually implement it - sewing sticky Velcro onto webbing straps is not fun. It worked though as it seems that a lot of people at the Expo recognised my character from behind.

The easiest part was creating and attaching the class patches for the shoulders.

What was it like to wear? Very hot - there was a heat wave on the Saturday and the boots, gloves and mask were all made from black rubber. I probably lost quite a bit of weight that day. It was worth it though as loads of people recognised me and stopped me for photos. It was slightly more comfortable to wear during the October Expo although the cold temperatures made my goggles mist up each time I stepped outside.

Comments

Avatar Image

awesome pyro ^_^ nice job

by blissfulbanana on Monday, 18 March, 2013 - 17:22
Avatar Image

Love TF2 :D This looks spot on! Great work!

by JustPeachy on Friday, 22 March, 2013 - 20:52
Avatar Image

I'm not really into TF but this looks perfect!

by ToroSonyCat on Sunday, 31 March, 2013 - 22:11
Avatar Image

Oh wow this.....YOUR AMAZING.....please don't burn me

by ChibiMatsu on Wednesday, 9 October, 2013 - 20:44
Avatar Image

OMG you look amazing! Dat Backpack! I gotta make one of those for my Pyro as well as soon as I can.

by ShingLang on Monday, 30 December, 2013 - 11:25
 

To-Do List

Add scorch marks to the lower legsLowComplete

Shopping List

Boiler suit£23.94Bought
Bolts (to attach small gas tank to large gas tank)£2.29Bought
Grey spray paint£8.69Bought
Pick axe handle£11.98Bought
Battery for hot wire cuter£1.72Bought
Blue insulation foam (for axe head)£4.35Bought
Gas Mask£24.72Bought
Wellington Boots£17.99Bought
Rubber Gloves£2.35Bought
Expanding foam£5.99Bought
Total£104.02

Journal

Making the gas tank (Posted 29th September 2013)

Retrospectively adding some information about making the gas tank backpack following a request from another member:

The main tank is made from a thick cardboard poster tube with the top part from a lemonade bottle glued at each end. I glued these to the plastic end caps of the poster tube but only glued the bottom end cap into the tube as this allowed me to remove the top cap so that I could store my drink bottle in the tank (I also lined the tank with some foam to stop things rattling around). It is painted up with Plasticote Acrylic spray paint, apart from the yellow part, which I masked off and then painted with yellow enamel paint after sanding down the lemonade bottles.

The smaller gas tank is made from a piece of plastic pipe with half of a ping-pong ball glued to each end. Before I glued the ends on I drilled two holes in the side of the pipe and the main gas tank so that I could bolt the two together. This was also painted with acrylic paints. The valve on the small tank is made from a red plastic milk bottle top with triangular sections cut out of it to leave spokes. I then attached it with a long brass screw that went through one of the ping-pong balls and into a cork on the other side to hold it in place.

The backpack itself is the remains of an old rucksack- it is just he straps and the back piece with some extra webbing sewed on to attach the tanks to the backpack. To make the join more secure I added bands of sticky Velcro to the main tank and sewed the other side of the Velcro to the webbing. Note that it is very hard work sewing sticky Velcro onto webbing and if I did this costume again I would probably try using pop-rivets to hold the tank directly to the back piece of the rucksack and then just glue two bands of webbing on for show.