|I probably shouldn't put another cosplay down, but it will hopefully be for sometime next year. Laila and Leyli are adorable and love their attitudes to marriage and men. Plus I'm currently addicted to traditional cloth-making and textiles of South East Asia, so it seems like a good idea to have a go at doing some ikat dying! Ahahaha! Wish me luck!|
Wig & Jewelry Finished (Posted 7th December 2013)
I trimmed the fringe of the wig and tried everything I have made so far on together. I think it looks pretty good!
Jewelry 1 (Posted 7th December 2013)
Today I decided to make the jewelry.
The beads are made up of seashells, wood (painted red) and the white ones are made of solidified lava! The thread is made of 100% natural hemp. I wanted to go with as many natural products as possible because I wanted it to be accurate to the location/period. So onwards and upwards!
Headscarf 4 (Posted 1st December 2013)
Today I've dyed the fabric with a natural scarlet-red dye, mixed with a combination of salt and soda ash and have left the fabric to soak. Fingers crossed the wax has done its job and the fabric will remain only partially dyed once I soak all the excess dye off the fabric and leave it to dry.
Headscarf 3 (Posted 26th November 2013)
Tonight I started batik-ing the hemp fabric. Its quite a messy process as wax in a tjanting is a lot harder to control than paint on a paintbrush. I'm glad I'm using this as a tester though before I attempt to do the full cosplay.
I'm currently using an electric tjanting which is a modified soldering iron with a tjanting head attached to the top, so it continually melts the wax that is placed in it as you go. This makes things a little easier, but the process is still messy, so I commend anyone who can make nice, clean lines look so easy! I'm just going to have to practice more.
[Photos to come soon]
Headscarf 2 (Posted 21st November 2013)
All my tools have finally arrived to try and give batik-ing a go. I just need the time to do it now!
Until then I have set up my frame (which is very nice and allows me to do small or large batik projects, so I am looking to getting good use out of this. The frame is set up by slotting into itself, and then with numerous little pins wrapped with an elastic band which is hooked onto the hemp fabric to stretch it quite taught.
With the fabric taught it will mean the design on the batik should be neater and the wax will fill the holes a lot better and should avoid cracking so much. We shall see.
Headscarf 1 (Posted 7th November 2013)
I decided that instead of diving straight into doing the fancy design of the top in batik, I would work slowly and start with the headscarf instead. The characters in Bride's Story are of a Muslim denomination and as such their headscarves are important to them (plus it leads to some interesting scenes with the twins with them).
I bought some hemp fabric since a) the large fibers are supposedly very good for batik-work, and b) I wanted to use a fabric that would be similarly used in the period and area where the twins are from. Hemp is generally abundant around Asia and other parts of the world and is one of the oldest cultivated plants used for production of everything from fabric, cords, rope, paper, jewellery and so on. Therefore, it seemed appropriate to at least use the fabric for some part of the costume from both a cultural, historical and geographical standpoint.
I gave the hemp a light 'bleach bath' just to lighten the colour somewhat from its natural green-ish tinge. Ideally, if this was done traditionally, hemp would usually be left out in the hot sun during the course of a day or two to dry out and to be bleached naturally. Sadly, because this is Winter and England, such a process really isn't feesable, so I had to try and do this a less than traditional way, by putting it in a bucket with a little bit of bleach and leaving it for a bit.
I did not want to leave the fabric in the bucket for too long, due to the high concentration commercial bleach has, it can end up destroying the natural fibers of the hemp, rendering it useless.
Once dry, I will attempt to start the batik process.
Ikat or Batik. (Posted 7th November 2013)
After doing lots of research into ikat and the way it is produced, it seems that I just don't have the money, time and capabilities to reproduce the process to make ikat-dyed fabric. It is a process that requires each individual part of the fabric strands to be dyed into the pattern, before weaving the fabric together and the pattern appearing out of the individually dyed pieces.
So I decided I wanted to try and produce something that brought a similar-looking natural and culturally-appropriate way to make patterns through using dye techniques. After much thought and research I came across batik which I remember vaguely toying with in secondary school, and not thinking of it much more than that.
Batik is the process of dying fabric with intermittent uses of wax drawn onto the fabric to create layers, before dye is then placed over the top of the original dye. The wax is then boiled out and removed from the dyed fabric. It is a process which is more achievable for me, and at least I can buy all the pieces of equipment fairly easily, so I am quite excited to give it a go!