|It's time to give in and get my WoW on!|
There are so many fantastic set designs in this game, but for my first go I wanted a priest so when I saw the Sister Benedron figure, which is the Avatar (tier 5) set with added awesome and hidden face I was instantly sold!
Neat mix of sewing and armour on this one and plenty of things I've never tried before to play with.
Lets Make a Dangly Thing (Posted 4th September 2012)
What do I even call this? Medallion? Sporran?!
Whatever it is, after a little maths I built up the dome from layers of 6mm EVA foam. Originally glued it all together with PVA glue to test a theory it would sand better, but then the motorised sander pulled it all apart. Whoops!
Back on track after some contact adhesive I used the Dremel to quickly wear down the excess foam and then the sander to get a nice even finish. Cut the horse shoe out of 3mm EVA and heated it up to curve nicely over the dome before sticking it in place.
More Shoe Sculpting (Posted 28th August 2012)
First heel done!
Shoe Sculpting (Posted 27th August 2012)
To build up the back of the heels I'm using milliput as it doesn't need to go in the oven and several people recommended it for being strong enough to survive any knocks.
This is my first time using milliput and I'm loving it! Exactly like working with clay. Currently sculpting each curve separately so it's easier to get them the right proportions and I know I'll be finished before it's too set to work with (I'm pretty slow at sculpting).
I've drawn a template outline to keep checking the sculpting against so there's a chance the two shoes will even be the same, but milliput can be sanded so I'll be making small adjustments that way once it's all dried.
Leg Plates (Posted 19th August 2012)
Worked out the paper patterns for my leg plates by measuring off the model and scaling up to my size. It worked out pretty well and I only had to adjust some small bits so I could bend my knee. All the front plates only curve in one direction so super easy patterning, just the calf plate needed some darts adding (taped while the glue dries in the photo).
I've cut the actual plates out of 3mm EVA foam and sanded the tight curves where the craft knife wasn't accurate enough. They are ready for heat shaping, but I'm trying to decide if I'm happy just scoring the edging in to this sheet or to stick another trim layer of 2mm foam on top...I need to do that while they're still flat.