|That is a name and a half!|
I was trying to resist adding her until I'd finished the game, but I just couldn't.
When I started playing TotA I was honestly suprised by how quickly I came to adore every character, even though most of them are the kind of characters I usually hate. Natalia especially.
Natalia became my favourite very quickly. Not only do I love her design, I love her personality because despite being a bit of a brat at times, her senses of morality and duty are impeccable.
I swear this is one of the most difficult projects I've ever done! It looks simple at first glance but oh my word it was such a butt! I'm not 100% happy with the result if I'm completley honest, but I'd say I was.... 91% happy?
-DRESS: It started off so easily! I used pale aqua and white cotton for the basic dress, using my Love Ward pattern as the colour blocks were essentially the same. I then took in the skirt to the right amount and carefully measured out and cut the scallop shapes, edging them with navy blue bias binding.
Next, I cut the top of the dress off, and remade that section all in white, and pleated a strip of white to form the collar. So far so good.
The sleeves were made from an off-white jersey (so that the cuffs would stretch), with a strip of aqua cotton to make the cuff-ties. Again, no real problem.
The last easy bit was the dark teal thing on the front panel. Just cut the right shape, punched some navy eyelets through it and sewed it on.
EVERYTHING CHANGED WHEN THE SHOULDER THING ATTACKED. No seriously, it has been the bane of my life. I used the same teal fabric as the front panel thing, carefully measuring out the right lengths and shapes. The worst part was the circles on the chest. At first, I tried to make loops out of bias but this failed epically, so I had to cheat and sew circles of aqua and white cotton on and hope it looked convincing. I then carefully added bais around the whole lot. To finish off, I gathered more cream jersey than I ever care to think about again and attached to the shoulder thing before attaching to the dress at subtle points so it sat right but allowed movement. The cream gathered bit was too floppy, so I had to carefully stitch little parts together so it stood up. Then I gave it up as a lost cause and decided that it would do haha.
-ASCOT: The other bane of my life. Why does this look so much like a napkin IRL??? I tried to do something different, by making it look more like a real cravat or ascot than what it is in the art. I'm a lot happier with it now I've seen it on the dress, but I'm still wondering whether to do it again.
I used rusty orange cotton and a Simplicity pattern. I cut a long trapezium-esque shape and folded it into 3, then carefully hemmed it. I then gathered the top edge, folded it over to hide the gatheres and stitched it onto a strip of the same cotton.
-BOOTCOVERS: MY PRECIOUS BABIES. They actually went right! I used off-white bodycon fabric and a lot of trial and error. I don't really recall my method but it started off with me drawing around my foot inside the base boot while awkwardly angling my foot so my leg/foot was as straight as possible (so I could cut the fabric on a fold and avoid a front seam). I then shaped the toe and heel areas, sewing gold bias around the heel. To finish off, I added a strip of black jersey around the top of each bootcover.
Bow is an edited Merida bow.
Arrows made by In Your Dreams FX. They're the best part of this cosplay haha!
QUIVER: I used the postal tube the arrows came in as a base, cutting it to the right height. I then covered it in pleather, and made a matching strap.
Going to push for a group for this so much 8D
Wearing for May Expo!
|Sleeves and shoulder thing||Low||Complete|
Boots (Posted 5th May 2013)
Of all the things I've made so far for this cosplay, the boot covers have been the least frustrating. Go figure!
Have a bad and slightly awkward photo of them :)
I've started on the shoulder thingimajig but I'm not entirely sure if I'm happy with it.
Ascot (Posted 23rd April 2013)
I currently hate this cosplay and want to burn it in a ritual, complete with Wicked Witch cackling and screaming
Dress (Posted 16th April 2013)
Finally have a base dress! I've used the Love Ward pattern S-Lawliet made for me , then changed the top of the dress so it wouldn't have seams. I then gathered a loooong strip of the white cotton for the collar, and put an invisible zip in the back. Need to take in the skirt a lot next!
Bow and arrows (Posted 27th March 2013)
I bought a Merida bow from the Disney store (it;s actually quite big) and I'll be editing it to look more like Natalia's bow.
Wig and stuff (Posted 10th October 2012)
I'm getting the prettiest wig in existance for christmas, it's exactly what I wanted for this costume (and its variants!)
Plans and fabric (Posted 30th August 2012)
Bought some fabric for the dress today.