|Awards :||1st prize (masquerade)|
|Time Taken :||1 month approx.|
|A challenge to myself to put a simple costume together with care, attention to detail, and good planning. I made the costume in one month and set myself a budget of £120 for new materials, including shoes and wig.|
My main objective was to make something that people would recognise!
Belated progress pics - Kimono clouds (stage 2 - painting) (Posted 19th August 2012)
Stage 2: trace the designs onto a white poly/cotton poplin with a tailor's chalk (colouring crayon works just as well).
The paints are Dylon Fabric Paints. I mixed the colours with Dylon Shade Creator, which gives a purer and finer shade than you can achieve by mixing the colours with white paint. If two colours are mixed with white paint (e.g. red, blue and white to create lilac), it tends to become murky.
After painting and drying overnight, the colours were fixed by ironing as hot as the fabric would allow (test it first!).
Belated progress pics - Kimono clouds (stage 1 - sketching) (Posted 19th August 2012)
A few people have asked how I did the clouds.. The techniques were a bit unorthodox, but here goes..
Stage 1: sketch the designs onto paper versions of the garment panels, making sure the drawings match up at the edges of each panel.
Belated progress pics - corset (Posted 19th August 2012)
This is what the corset looked like before I assembled it. Unusually for a corset, it doesn't have any bones - it only has vilene in the lining to keep its shape.
Of course, because it was made quickly and cheaply, it didn't turn out as well as I hoped. Cutting corners doesn't pay!
Costs of new materials bought (Posted 16th August 2012)
Here's what happened to the £120 budget for my Yuuko Ichihara costume.
I thought I'd keep a careful track of the materials and accessories I bought for this costume. The list doesn't include materials I had already in my bits box - thread, fastenings, wire, duct tape etc..