|Cost :||Nowt as its so far from stock.|
|Time Taken :||2 weeks|
|I've really wanted to do a Soulcalibur costume for years but couldn't decide. Finally decided on Raphael. I can put my fencing training to good use for the poses *yay*. |
I have also decided on finally wearing a wig for the first time in years. I have it it just needs styling.
Most of the fabric will be from my stock.
The sword will be made for a plastic base with a craft foam outer.
Finished Jacket and shirt.
Shirt was made from light cotton red and black. Made from a pattern I created. Eyeletts were added to the collar and sleeves ready for the crest and laces.
Jacket was made from black/blue taffata, black cotton lining and black dress velvet. Pattern was created by me. The taffata was lined with the lining and then the applique was applied by hand (as heat and bond would of damaged the velvet) before being edged by machine.
Raphael had an fab time being part of the Soulcalibur group. Comfy costume to wear except the wig. Although pretty much complete I'll be added the gloves at a later date.
Sword nearly complete (Posted 12th August 2009)
Due to the delay with having to shrink the breeches I ended up rushing the sword.
I decided with all my recent ill health to not make the sword from scratch but to build apon a base. Found a cheap toy sword in my random prop box. Removed hilt and handle. Found a better handle. Glued that to the blade. Then built up the hilt using wonderflex. I decided to keep it quite thin that way its still has some flex to it to keep it con safe. I then decorated it using craft foam. All was then sealed with pva glue. Then finished with acrylic paint.
Tomorrow I'll be doing the final varish.
Breeches (Posted 11th August 2009)
Well, managed to finish the breeches. They took a bit longer to do than I hoped. Mainly because I forgot I have no hips or bum so i had to take out loads at the back. I also had forgotten how fiddly it was to do proper breeches.
Still they are done and I'm quite happy with them except they are still slightly too big. As the fabric has no give thats not a prob.
Jacket and shirt complete (Posted 1st June 2009)
Have finished both jacket abd shirt. Shirt went together really quickly. Jacket, however, took much longer as I stupidally chose dress velvet for all the applique. So it kept moving as I was attaching it. I couldn't attach it with heat as it would ruin the fabric so I had to do it by hand and then machine around the edges. It took a while but i'm so pleased with the result.
Now to find my brother's camera so I can pose piccies.
Sword hopefully will be started soon.
Starting sewing (Posted 21st January 2009)
Started on both the jacket and the top today. Both are being made from fabric from stock so that I can keep the budget low.
I originally choice this version of Raphael so I can have a simple costume to wear at the same event as complex artbook Trinity Blood costumes. I was a bit wrong! The jacket has more detail than I thought. It includes applique on the back. Bummer. Oh well!
Did come to a slight halt when I ran out of eyeletts for the sleeves. So while I wait before I get more I'll start work on the armour pieces. Of which there is only three small pieces.