|Time Taken :||1 week|
|Strength from Black Rock Shooter, worn at Kitacon IV!|
With big helps from Yukioto (thank you <333), I managed to finish her arms in under a week! 5am bedtimes and lots of Ben 10 and Adventure Time watching (and a million trips to B&Q) got us through the week!
Dress and collar made by myself! Black leatherette with white leatherette appliqued ontop. Unfortunately I didn't have time for some of the smaller details on the applique and her outfit but I intend to finish them soon!
Although my reference is of the full battle arm mode with the sliding mechanisms, after screen-capping from the anime, she never actually has the full version when fighting. So I used the simplified version from the actual screentime, however I tried making the fists exactly to the ref!
(It was hard because I've yet to find a non-OVA version of her arms made!)
Hands and tail both made out of 8mm Plastazote. I used both foam and plastic piping for support and sealed the foam in PVA. I then used primer, then black acrylic spray, and hand painted on the battle damage and details!
Will most likely re-make her collar and finish her full arms from the reference (and the small bits I missed out). Possibly thinking of making her four armed insane battle version?! I must be crazy.
Backk. (Posted 8th April 2012)
Having left a gap when stitching the centre back seam, when topstitching I neatened the edges to create a slit. Hopefully if I attatch my tail to a strap I can push it through the hole to look slightly neater! (Even though Strength seems to have her tail sprouting from her back- wat?)
Dress! (Posted 8th April 2012)
Thankfully, the dress started to begin taking shape. I topstitched all the seams as well as pressing seams to make it much neater!
CUT ALL THE FOAM (Posted 7th April 2012)
I started working on Strength's insane arms. I wanted to make her animé version, but unfortunately, they were a lot more complicated, and required too many materials for my budget. So I found a compromise and designed her arms in the style of the animé, but not including her crazy-ass sliding mechanism she wears in the reference picture, as after screen-capping the animé, I realised she never actually has it! Using 8mm, I started cutting all the panels out of Plastazote.
Fabric. (Posted 6th April 2012)
Although I originally bought a fleeced cotton jersey, I decided against it and bought black leatherette quite last minute. Not only would the leatherette keep the original shape a lot better, but I felt it fitted better with all the textures of Strength's props and accessories. Started cutting out the pattern!
Collar. (Posted 4th April 2012)
I then made another toile, seperately, for the collar following the new anime design. I altered a high-collar pattern I'd cut recently, making it a lot wider, and with more material at the back.