|Cost :||£130 (Mostly wig and shoes)|
|Awards :||"Puns worthy of Rob" for the CSI Minami skit at Minami con 15 , Best Performance at Sunday MCM May expo 2009|
|Time Taken :||Costume: 2 weeks, wig 3-4months|
|Minamicon 2009 was all about retro cosplay. Mark suggested pokemon for a skit and I jumped at the idea of Jessie. Since I am a relatively new fan of anime, I felt that pokemon was somthing more retro to me, so it fitted the minami theme quite well.|
These costume were also re-worn at May Expo, for a sing and dance performance in the masquerade
The Minamicon CSI: Minami skit was written by mark
The Double Trouble perfomance at MCM expo:
Music and choreagraphy by me, Jake (white levaithan) as james and with Ben, Karl (Kimpey), Leah (Sillabub), Carrie (Seraphim-cry) as rocket grunts.
The actaul costume itself was pretty straight forward. White cotton twill for the top and skirt. The Red "R"'s are made from the back of silk duchess satin which was £20 a meter. Me and jake fell in love with the fabric as soon as we saw it since it was the perfect red.
I helped Jake with the construction of james, which was all completed in one weekend.
The boots where bought from Cosworx, as was james base wig. The james wig was later dyed with a combination of copic ink and alcohol. Then styled.
Real leather gloves where a find from primark. There are a bit shorter than jessied actual gloves, but I HATE making gloves, so was prepared for the slight inaccuracy.
The WIG.. WEll the WIG OMG..
I opted for a shape that was mostly to the back and a little to the side. The shape of her hair varied in every reference picture. So I decided on something that would be door friendly and look like it was sticking out to the side at certain camera angles.
Its constructed using the same techniques as my caterina wig, just on a much bigger scale.
And old wig was scalped for the wig mesh undeneath. The structure was constructed on top of the mesh using plastic boning and then covered in wadding to form a shell.
This was then painted with a mixture of PVA and acrylic paint, forming a harder shell to add the extentions too.
Around 7 pack of cherry red hair extensions where then hotglued to the structure. The hairline at the front was made by dipping strand of hair into PVA, drying it and then cutting it to a fine point.
The curl was painted in a mixture of water, PVA and hairpray, then wrapped around a hairspray can and left to dry over night.
Covering the whole thing was a knightmare >_< I went though 30 glue gun sticks and 2 full massive cans of treseme hairspray.
As you can imagine the structure, is relatively light for its size, but because its and unusual shape it is very unbalanced and puts pressure on the base of my neck. Two large haircomes inside the top of the wig hold it to my head.
I also have to backcomb and plat my hair underneath to provide enought grabbing power for the haircombs. Which makes me look very silly when I am not wearing it :P
All in all I can wear it for around an hour at a time.
Jessie Wig, take 1 (Posted 30th December 2008)
I have decided that jessie's hair is somewhat more like structural enginnering than actual wig styling. Her hair is also Different in every single refrence image......
I decided that I wanted it to curve slightly to one side, the side was chose by seeing which side was more common in my selected reference photos. Slighlty to the left wass the winner.
To begin with i removed all the wefts and scalp from an old wig to obtain the mesh cap underneath.
I am using the same materials that i used as a base for my caterina wig. These include plastic "rigiline" boning and wadding (4oz). They are both lightweight and cheap!
I initally made the bottom section first, by cutting the shape out of wadding and gluing on the boning support. Making sure to use the natural curve of the boning to my advantage (it comes rolled up)
This was then pinned to the base and then additional plastic boned where added to form the top section (mostly by trail and error) The top section was then covered in wadding and the edges sewn and glued together.
The Wadding was then neatly sewn onto the mesh cap.
I have also added 6 hair extension clips (4 at the front, 2 at the bottom) so that the wig can be secured to my head ^_^
Next stage is to build up the top of the wig, to get jessie's widows peak and backcombed look.