|Time Taken :||9 Hours (Approximately)|
|I was originally going to make this costume for Kitacon, but what with it being my last year of University in April and I actually wanted to get a degree, I had to drop this costume because it was the one that needed the most work. I already had three outfits for Kita anyways, so losing a fourth wasn't the end of the world. |
Merle was challenging, but fun in a definitely non-stressful way. I am extremely proud of her ears and also learnt from making them that if you make a prototype out of paper first to see what you should do, it normally works out for the better. And I actually used paper in order to get everything the right size so that helped too rather than just winging it XD.
Turns out there was an Escaflowne group but it was on the Saturday, and my friends and I were Super-Mario-ing on the Saturday at Ame and it would have been too much trouble to change. But I did have a Van on the Sunday so that worked out well. And I got to lick him whenever I wanted =^o^=.
If I do this cosplay again, and I'd love to, I'd probably put velcro instead of buttons on her wrist fluffs like I did with the ankle fluff. I would also definitely re-do the tail as that was a sort of 'that'll do' thing and I want a longer tail that is fully repose-able for maximum adorable ^^.
|Sew fluff onto shoulders||High||Complete|
|Make and sew ears||High||Complete|
|Make and Sew tail onto Hotpants||High||Complete|
|Test attaching ears to wig||Medium||Complete|
|Sew ankle and wrist fluff cuffs||Medium||Complete|
|Test stripe Make-up||Medium||Complete|
|Find Bits of Fluff for Shoulders||Low||Complete|
|Buy Wiring and Cloth for Ears||Low||Complete|
|Cut T-shirt and Add Brown Splotches||Low||Complete|
|Large Orange T-Shirt||£3.65||Bought|
|Wiring & Cloth||£6.99||Bought|
Shoulder Fluff and Ears! (Posted 23rd August 2012)
Finally got to sewing the fluff of the shoulders on, and let me just say, it was extremely fluffy. I had to hoover the whole area afterwards and it was death trying to itch my nose XD.
The ears I made a paper prototype of first, I actually put a lot of effort into them and they turned out really well. I'm especially pleased at the fact that they can attach to the wefts in any wig really, and it worked well so that I wouldn't need a headband. Having worn a headband for bunny Kallen, which was awkward, it was nice to not have to worry about the ears falling off as much.
T-Shirt Splodges Done (Posted 9th August 2012)
They were a bit annoying as I'd cut the material from another old shirt, so they kept curling up, but they were easy enough to do. I would have possibly liked them to be a little bigger but I didn't really have that much material to work with. Still they look cute ^^.
Fluffy Cuffs and Tail Done (Posted 8th August 2012)
Sewed the tail today, it's a little bit of a fail, but it's ok for a first try I guess. Next time I want to make it longer and fully poseable, at the moment it just sort of hangs down XD. The fluff on the end is cute though.
Also did the wrist and the ankle fluff cuffs which were pretty simple. I used buttons for the wrist cuffs and velcro for the ankle cuffs, will see if I can change to velcro for the wrists as well because it seems to work better and be less awkward XD.
Bought brown material and Tiger Wire (Posted 21st March 2012)
Also bought some lovely white fur so I can sew her bits of fluff. The brown material is actually a T-shirt which I'm going to cut up and stick to the orange shirt for her markings, also planning to use leftover material for Merle's ears. Tiger wire/construction wire I am going to use for the structure of the ears and the tail.
I also unstitched and cut off the sleeves of the T-shirt, making it look more scraggly and Merle-like. I shall be wearing fangs with this cosplay!
Got Wig and T-Shirt (Posted 26th February 2012)
The lovely dovely BernieBear has loaned me the use of a short pink wig, and I have ordered a large orange T-shirt from ebay which has now arrived and is very large. Preparations are on the way!