kitsune
 


Costume :Red/ Hooded Monk
Variant :With cloak
Source :Garo Makai Senki
Progress :Complete
Worn At :Hyper Japan Spring 2012


Costume Photos

two

close up

one

Not so brilliant photo

Ref four ( mask)

Ref three ( front of cloak)

Ref two ( back of cloak)

Ref one (hand)

 


Costume Information

General
Cost : £150
Time Taken : 1 month

Description
Doing the main version of Red in his cloak From GARO makai senki( so cloak, mask and hand)

Not sure what event I will be doing this for but I am starting it now so that it will be complete before July in hopes that there will be an event on then was making it for hyper japan but it is Feb this year and I can't make it that quick.

Will try to work to my best.

wish me luck.

Comments

Avatar Image

That mask looks AWESOME.

by Luki on Saturday, 18 February, 2012 - 19:15
Avatar Image

Thank you I put a lot of work into it. :)

by kitsune on Monday, 20 February, 2012 - 14:23
Avatar Image

Wow! Amazing cosplay =D

by Kacela on Sunday, 26 February, 2012 - 13:01
Avatar Image

Thank you, still looking for more photos from the event though so I can post them up. :)

by kitsune on Monday, 27 February, 2012 - 11:38
Avatar Image

great cosplay! looks amazing!

by HeavenSent on Tuesday, 6 March, 2012 - 15:22
Avatar Image

thank you very much. :D

by kitsune on Friday, 9 March, 2012 - 14:27
 

Journal

Flat nose.. (Posted 13th February 2012)

I feel like someone has punched my in the face after trying the mask on.

The mask is a bit heavy so it just flattens my nose when I wear it so a nose bridge has been made so its less painful to wear. I feel like I've just pulled a octopus of my face since even though I can see perfectly in it the fact I have such a heavy item on makes my face and head feel heavy ( and the lack of sleep doing the costume doesn't help either).

Also Stupid photo of me in the rather naff wig with the mask on is amusing to see since I have to stick my tongue out to show how far down the mask is without the nose bridge. ( and it doesn't move by much when I put the bridge in but it looks a bit better)

for now will be done with it all by the end of the week.

Almost done now (Posted 8th February 2012)

The sleeves and bottom of the costume are left now just need to sew the edges on the bottom and finish doing the pattern on the sleeves.

Just happy to see it almost complete.

Detail work (Posted 30th January 2012)

Most of the small bits have now been done for the cloak and just need to be sewn on but the pattern on the hood and sleeves will be painted on. I know that sounds like a bad idea but I tests have came out good and a lot cheaper ( and quicker) I can't really embroider it with my lack of skill so paint will have to do...

A rather scary looking mask (Posted 24th January 2012)

The mask looks really good so far but a few cracks have appeared ( at the top) which need to be sorted so don't show. The gem at the top isn't on yet since I have to wait for my green glass paint for it and for the eyes. ( so everything I see will be green which will be funny)

Still lots of work to do the cloak still hasn't been touched at all.

Slowly failing technology (Posted 23rd January 2012)

Well this really isn't helping but my computer... ( the joy it is) is messing up which makes in annoying is that all my ref images are on it and I can't see them properly cause the screen is messing up....

Like I need any delays to be honest..only have a month. But the mask thank goodness has dried and is ready to paint which will only take a day or so.

Last thing to do is the cloak.

Cooking time (Posted 17th January 2012)

I can't make metal objects ( or do any form of smithing) so I have to make all the gems/ornaments on the front out of a molding substance ( I don't have the name) that you can cook to harden then I have to coat them in a load of paint to make them look metallic. Other then that the cloak is coming along more its got the sleeves now, and honestly looks like a tent....since I may have made it 2-3 sizes to big.

More work on the hand (Posted 13th January 2012)

It looks a lot better now with a bit more work on it and at least its out of the way now so I can work on everything else.

Next is the mask and cloak.

more refs (Posted 10th January 2012)

The good thing about doing this along with the series is I get lots of refs over time that help me ( well give me more work). Still got to get more items for the costume along with a set of wooden beads to thread along with the rope ( which I never noticed till I saw the new episode).

Lots to make and do.

Cloak so far (Posted 9th January 2012)

They joy of being short of fabric buy a tiny amount ,so I don't have enough to make the hood and smaller cloak...

Oh well I can get some more and it was a good price. The main body is almost done just need to do more of the gold embroidery bits so I can sew them on once it done.

Close enough (Posted 6th January 2012)

Trying to make all the details is rather hard with the limited ability I have ( and equipment) so I've made bits of the embroidery from other pieces of pre-made embroidery sets you can buy in haberdashery shops. So far it looks OK but not really perfect to be honest. The original piece was a white flower pattern in which I massacred by removing all the curls, painted them with a mix of gold paints and them glued/sewn together to make one big piece.

Tassels (Posted 5th January 2012)

Well, so far only the gold rope/ tassels have been done ( the black outfit in the picture is just a kimono from an old costume)Also the tassels look rather messy in the picture but I will iron then out a bit or might just make new ones if possible out of better rope.