|Awards :||Hyper Japan Cosplay Award 2011|
|Ayanami Rei and Nagisa Kaworu worn at Japan Expo 2011 (For the ECG finals in Paris) and Hyper Japan 2011!|
This was by far the most challenging costume I've made. Ever. Plugsuits and Eva 01 Head made completely from scratch by us. (I helped with Kaworu's plugsuit, and he helped with my armour- the head was TEAMWORK)
There were a few people who seemed to get the idea we'd made the plugsuits from diversuits- where on earth would we get NGE diver suits like that??? Joking aside, I did use Neoprene (with some panels covered by airtex) which is used to make wetsuits as the pilots are submerged while driving the Evas and I wanted a more realistic 'protective' body covering that something like PVC could never do. I also wanted a matt finish as my reference I was using didn't have any shiny or glossy textures on the plugsuit apart from the protective 'armoured' panels. I also changed the design slightly (but still following a slightly different official artwork) and put extra black side panels at my waist as I found the neoprene wasn't body hugging in particularly curvaceous parts of me- and the black made it much more flattering.
The shoulder plates, collar, backpack, cuffs and Eva head are all made from a thin styrene, with excess neoprene as padding. My chestplate was made from a plastic mannequin which I cut and sanded and then heat-moulded to fit my chest. (Couldn't sand off the damn nipples though). LEDs were embedded into the Eva 01's eyes. (We did make a matching head for Kaworu but it was amazingly broken when we opened our suitcase in Paris- along with some of our other props). The only part of our costumes that weren't made were the gloves and shoes (which I modified) and my hairclips which I bought online.
We fixed and re-made the costumes for Hyper Japan. I covered all my armour minus my chest plate in a sticky-back white vinyl to cover the darts in the styrene and match the texture of the chest plate. I also resewed the orange reflective strips on my shoulders and they had started to fray- I cut more of the fabric, soaked it in PVA and re-stitched it. I completely re-made my cuffs thicker and larger- better fitted to my wrists and again, covered in vinyl. We tidied up the smaller details on our plugsuits and Kaworu made the Lance of Longinus (because we couldn't face making another head....!)
Overall it was a nightmare getting these done completely (and rehearse a skit) just a week before flying off as I had final exams right before and I was sick continuously months prior! (poor Kaworu) The neoprene was stifling and I'd patterned my plugsuit slightly too small so I couldn't sit down at all! But even with all that- it was a huge learning curve for the both of us and Paris was an amazing experience!!