Wig saga (Posted 11th May 2013)
Well this wig caused me way more issues than it should have done!
I've been worrying about getting a wig for Ulala since I first planned this costume as there just doesn't seem to be anywhere online that sells a ponytail wig in the magenta that I needed and not for a ridiculous amount.
The picture attached kinda shows what I started with. This thing started life as a Madoka wig which has the perfect amount of volume in the clip on ponytails and was already section off in to pigtails with a skin parting down the back.
I first off tried to dye the wig using the dunking method. This just did not work and I have no idea way. I pretty much stuck word for word to the tutorials I looked at but I had no luck. It didn't even tint the wig and I was instead left with a wig the same milkshake pink colour that smelt really bad. I gave the thing a good wash and then went about hand colouring the whole thing. It took quite a while but not as long as I would have imagined, my major issue was not having enough pens!
Actually styling the wig was relatively simple, I used straighteners on a very low heat to achieve the curl and sealed this with hairspray and PVA. All in all this thing should hopefully be indestructible and be able to survive the trek down to London and back!