blackorcid
 


Costume :Genjo Sanzo
Variant :Priest Robes
Source :Gensomaden Saiyuki
Progress :Complete
Worn At :London MCM Expo Comic Con October 2013


Costume Photos

Sanzo

Prist sanzo

crown breast plate and sutra

reference 2

Reference 1

 


Costume Information

General
Cost : £5 aproximatly
Time Taken : this one took about 2 weeks in total.

Description
This cosplay was made using materials I mostly already had. I think the only thing i really needed to buy was a small amount of Green Fabric because the green i had was totally the wrong shade and some black fabric paint/markers to write the sutra.
The Foam for the crown and the breast plate was a pack of foam I brought a while back for a project that I never got around to.
The cream fabric I used was from a Pidgeot Gijinka cosplay that fell through and the black was some material that I already had to hand.
The white was some fabric I got a while ago because it was reduced due to a blue smudge on it.
The turtle neck was something I already had both for my Aya cosplay and my Subaru cosplay and the rings I used were from when I made a pair of gauntlets for a good friend of mine. :)
so pleased that once again I only spent a very minimal amount of money and got to use so of the fabtic I already had.

Comments

No comments received.

 

Journal

Update (Posted 23rd August 2013)

So with the arm warmers done, the coats of paint done on crown and breast plate and the sutra done all I really needed to do was get the head cloth done and find a small gun I could spray silver and then sanzo would be ready.

Arm warmers (Posted 21st August 2013)

I 've finished making Sanzo's arwarmers today. I usd rings I had brought ages ago to fit to the end so that it would go around my finer nicely. I made them out of a black stretchy fabric so that they would fit nicely without sliping down my arms.

sutra (Posted 20th August 2013)

So in between working on the coats for my crown and breast plate I started working on My sutra.
First I had to decide what to use to get the script. So I did little testers of each thing on strips of cloth.
It was between fabric paint, Sharpie or perminant thin markers.
Once I had finished my sameples I took a good long look at the results and weighed out my options.
I like the darkness of the fabric paint but the acuracy of the thin markers. The Sharpie was out entirely as the ink bleed into the fabric and looked terrible.
After deciding my medium I began the ultra long task of writing out the scripture.
I looked up some symbols then randomised them as much as I could and drew them on.
Once all that was done I sewed the sutra onto the green backing and hemmed it.

robes and then some. (Posted 15th August 2013)

The robes turned out to be pretty straight forward although it did take me quite a while. after doing all the hemming and everything I was pretty happy with the outcome.
after working on the robes I decided I need to make the props he has, such as the crown and breast plate.
I wanted them to be relativly lightweight but at the same time pretty acurate.
I settled on using fun foam. and it turned out pretty well. I started by making the crown and layered the foam to get the 3D effect. After that I added a few layers of base coat white paint.

the Idea. (Posted 30th July 2013)

This idea was formed at pretty much the Same time as my Meer cosplay. I was looking through the HUGE pile of un used fabric I have and this was one of the idea's I had. I had pretty much most of the stuff I needed so I got started pretty quickly. I needed to do a bit of research on this one though because its the first time i've really tried to make this style of robes. It was something I wanted to do properly.