|Time Taken :||30 hours|
|Like so many of my costumes, this has gone through several changes, and I completely remade it recently. |
When I first made it back in 2005, it was my first try at making trousers, and dealing with a complicated jacket. Naturally the costume wasn't brilliant, but I did learn at lot! I also didn't choose the best fabric, so I wanted to remake it eventually.
I bought cotton drill for my new uniform, and eventually put it together at the end of 2006. This time I had fewer difficulties with the trousers, having got used to the pattern, and I'm very happy with my jacket, which is fully lined. I didn't have difficulty altering the front of the pattern, and I even got the collar to look how I wanted. For some reason the cuffs aren't co-operating so well, so I'll be returning to those. Even the skirt thingy ended up in a better shape this time round, and I managed to get the bias tape far neater. I love the stars I found for the epaulettes, they're perfect! The other decoration - epaulettes, collar pins - are iron-on transfers so just printed off and backed with felt to give them more substance.
I still have a few things to adjust, like my gun belt and holster...possibly the gun itself as well since it's a pathetic £shop one. My wig could also do with a bit of improvement, but I'm generally pretty happy with it, and the jacket cuffs and a few bits of bias tape I rushed might be redone later. Regardless of all that, I'm very pleased with the uniform overall!