|Cost :||~£63, with more to come|
|For a Pokemon gijinka group with my friends. I designed most of the group's costumes myself. My original designs for these gijinka can be seen here: http://tomecko.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3f1tks|
Kimono - Made of red jersey knit, which honestly isn't the best choice for kimonos, but I wanted it to match the tabi socks perfectly, and they had to stretch. Fully lined. I made it to have the traditional fold under the obi, which is hand-sewn into place so that I don't have to refold it every time. It has ties under the obi to keep it closed.
The fur collar and cuffs are made of a fabulous yellow shag from mendels.com. It's so soft!
I also made some black stretchy shorts to go underneath and keep things ladylike.
Obi - Made of red & gold brocade, heavily interfaced. I went the sneaky route and closed it with Velcro in the back, which is covered up by the pre-tied bow (not that you can see the bow, because of the tail).
The obijime is a gold metal belt, with beads and a resin gem for decoration.
Tabi - Thigh-high tabi socks! These took a couple tries to get right, as I made up the pattern myself. I added a strip of clear silicone caulking on the inside edge, to help it grip my legs better. It helped a bit to keep them from falling down, as did flash tape.
Tail - Difficult to sit in. Especially in cars, you have to ride 'side-saddle.' I made up the pattern myself and even sewed and stuffed a muslin dummy to test it out - the yellow shag was spendy, and I didn't want any extra yardage!
It snaps closed at the base of the tail, so I can remove stuffing and fold it flat for transport. There's velcro on the base and on the rear of my kimono to attach it, plus a small clip sewn onto the back collar of the kimono to grab the tail and hold it upright. To save on stuffing, I inflate a balloon in the tail to take up space. Keeps the weight down, too.
Wig - The red wig was bought from eBay, and the loose yellow hair from doctoredlocks.com. The wig needed a little styling, mostly trimming and putting the flip in the back.
For the yellow tuft, I sliced an oval off of a small styrofoam egg, covered it in yellow stretch fabric, and inserted a 'plug' of yellow hair into a hole in the bottom. Then, using my clear silicone caulk and a hairdryer to heat shape it, I glued and curled the hair up over the styrofoam base. It's secured at the top curls by a clear hairband. it attaches to the wig with a large bobby pin.
Shoes - A pair of geta purchased on eBay. Not as hard to walk in as I thought! Still not the most comfortable.
Makeup/Accessories - For makeup, I colored in my eyebrows with lipliner and used the same liner on my lips (liner last much longer than lipstick!). I also used black eyeshadow over my entire lid, along with black eyeliner, to symbolize Flareon's pure black eyes.
I'll have to take a picture of the special accessories I made to go with - red cabochon gems with the trading card game's fire symbol inside them. The large one is on her obi, and another two for earrings, though the wig has so much hair you can't really see them. It was my first try at making resin gems, and I learned a lot.
Plushie - My first plushie! I drafted the pattern myself - which was another learning experience - and made him out of felt and leftover scraps from the yellow shag. I could have done the legs and shape of the head better, but I think it was an okay first try. Plus, I love his little pawpads.