|Cost :||Under £40|
|Awards :||None. Beaten by a Vincent Valentine because of 14yr old girls who love him.|
|Time Taken :||1 month|
|Our group’s first cosplay was all based around Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z. The costume designer for our group Tab Kimpton suggested that Christian R. Allan would make a good Vegeta considering his forehead, short height, and large thick hair…|
(Christian did not know if this was a compliment or not, but didn’t care as he wanted to be Vegeta and kill stupid humans)
Tab first suggested the idea of an under layer muscle suit made out of bits of foam glued onto two pairs of leggings we bought from Primark. We then used a ‘cold’ glue gun to attach the foam on Christian’s under suit.
Once Christian had recovered from the scolding, we realised that the glue had lied. Cold glue gun does not equal cold. Just means slightly colder than the third degree level of burning.
So we then decided a safer option was to sew the foam on with really big bits of wool. This involved needles really close to Christian’s crotch. The incident tested their newly found friendship, to an extent that has never been surpassed... (or HAS it?)
Because of the loose positioning of the foam, when it came to making the full body suit that went over the top, we had to make sure that all parts of the body were accessible in order to move the bits of foam in the right place. As a result, we had to get very creative with respect to the positions of the zips.
In the end, the suit was made of two pieces (a top and bottom!) with two zips under the arms and two zips under the legs so we could then touch every part of Vegeta to get to the foam and position it.
More testing of the friendship then occurred.
(A note on foam, we muscled ever part of Christian’s body, except his bum. He didn’t need it there.)
The Armour was then made using a cheap poly-cotton, which was sewn like a quilt with batting (or wadding, or whatever). And then we put zips in the side. The gloves were a bitch, and Tab shall not mention their construction here. But there was no pattern, only pain.
The shoes… Well, the first time we made them from scratch, and our Sayajins had very sore feet due to their size. They were made a bit like slippers, sorta, and then we stuck cheap Primark shoe soles on the bottom. NOT FUN, ESPECIALLY IN RAIN.
The next time the costumes were worn we made new shoes, this time making them out of UGG boots (from Primark!) which we covered in the same fabrics. Only problem was that the soles wore out very quickly, what with our trips outdoors into the wide, wide world of Tesco’s…