|I fell in love with this costume instantly when I got to the third chapter of Apollo Justice, and thought it'd be perfect for the Grand Cosplay Ball.|
The dress was adapted from McCall's pattern M5046, but it didn't need much adapting - the bodice was originally a separate basque but I attached it to the skirt, and the off-the-shoulder band was made without a pattern (and was pretty easy, too). The cloak was made without a pattern because it has a very simple shape, and the face mask hooked inside the hood to hold everything in place. The brooch was made with FIMO.
I think this is actually the second most impractical costume I've ever made, after my Fei Yen. The dress is very heavy because of the sheer amount of fabric used for it (I followed the yardage on the pattern packet and still had to go back for more fabric twice), and because both the dress and the cloak are so long, people kept stepping on them (including me). The face mask muffles your voice (Lamiroir must have an incredible pair of lungs to sing behind it!) and it makes it very difficult to eat or drink anything. Some impracticalities of the costume that are entirely down to poor design on my part - the off-the-shoulder straps are too short, so they restricted my arm movement and ripped whenever I tried to lift my hands higher than about chest level. I've figured that, since you never see the back ot the dress, I'm just going to restitch them at the front and attach them further away from the zipper at the back so I can move my arms. The cloak was made of crepe de chine, which is lovely and floaty, but it slips off your shoulders very easily, especially given the cut of the cloak - I'll be attaching some ribbons on the inside of the cloak so I can pass my arms through them and keep everything in place in future. I'll also be making a slight tweak to the hair cuffs so they stay in place better - much of my evening was spent looking at the floor and trying to find them when they dropped off!
I'm also aware that it's not technically complete, since the cloak isn't covered in constellations. That was a last-minute decision as I didn't have much time to do the painting, and the fabric paint wasn't as good on dark fabric as I'd been led to believe (the design on the face mask was achieved after three thick coats of the stuff and it was still a bit thin). I decided that I'd rather have an almost-finished costume that I can finish properly at my leisure than try to finish the costume, screw it up and ruin the lovely fabric I'd gotten for the cloak. And as it was, no-one noticed the lack of constellations anyway!
Despite all my complaints about it, I am really pleased with how this costume came out. Once it's fixed up properly I will be wearing it again, and hopefully have a Machi Tobaye to accompany me too!