|Time Taken :||11hrs|
|The original plan for this cosplay was Amecon 2012 and I only just about made it for Aya-ball 2014, typical Fi! |
Exciting news though, this cosplay was the first time I /finally/ got to cosplay with Ellen (Pandora-Chi) as Gumi!! We've known each other for years and have made tons of plans together but this was the first time we actually did one together, totally by coincidence as well!
Rewearing this again at Amechibi this time complete with all the details with Cat (Crazedteensie) as Gumi and Lou (TheStarlightFairy) as Rin, Izzy (Toobagravy) as Meiko and Claire (Silverwyn) as Miku.
So I'd normally wear normal clothes to a convention ball but as this was a whole event I felt the need to actually cosplay! None of my older costumes seemed appropriate so I went through a few options before settling on Luka as I knew I could get it done in a short space of time as I was really quite busy with University work.
I separated the costume into a short dress and the big overskirt. Originally I was going to make the overskirt as part of the dress and then have a separate black skirt but I didn't feel comfortable with having so much weight on a strapless bodice. You can't see a full body shot and some people take the costume as a full length dress, I wanted a short skirt with a floor length overskirt as I've always wanted to make that sort of costume! Plus then I can actually move around because who am I kidding, I'm not graceful enough to wear a full length dress!
I modified the bodice so that it extends to my waist, the same thing I did for Just be Friends Luka because empire line dresses just don't suit my figure. I used McCall's M6838 pattern for the bodice which was made from duchess satin lined with cotton. To be honest I was too lazy to interline and add boning to the bodice, this was just me being lazy.
The skirt is a circle skirt made from acetate, the shop ran out of duchess satin so I had to make do, you can only see a small part of it any way. I attached this onto the bodice and then used an invisible zip.
I used the same pattern (M6838) to make the overskirt, with some modifications. From the picture on the pattern, it didn't look as full as I'd want it, so I decided to extend the oval shape into basically a 3/4 circle skirt for each half. So essentially, the overskirt is 1.5 of a circle. I used duchess satin for the top layer and black polycotton for the lining, I wanted a matte and light fabric for the lining to contrast with the black skirt. I bought some triangular patterned lace to sew along the hem of the skirt.
I created a waistband out of duchess satin, used a normal zip for the back and created a bow by sewing two rectangles together, inserting thick wadding and then gathering the middle, this was sewn on directly to the waistband.
For the petticoat, I made it in a similar way to a pancake tutu because I wanted it to stick out in a bell shape. I used 6 layers of tulle in varying lengths, gathered them and sewed it in the same direction on the waistband (for a ballet tutu, you'd alternate the direction the tulle is pointing). Although I've made a lot of petticoats in the past, this was the first time I used elastic! Mainly because if for whatever reason the petticoat came undone, this dress is a massive pain to try and alter it. I generally prefer hook and eye fastenings for my petticoats because I just don't like feeding the elastic through, but this time I thought I'd be safer.
The choker was made from velvet with velcro at the back.
The gloves were bought on eBay for a different cosplay (Happy Synthesizer Luka, in fact!)
The wig was bought from Lucaille.
The flowers were made with varying different sized circles cut out of pink acetate, cut with slits in the circles and then melted over a candle so that they curl and replicate petals. Then they were hot glued together and I added some pearls in the centre for some added small detailing.
Overall considering I made this in practically one weekend as I had so much work to do, I'm pretty proud of this costume! I'm happy with the way the overskirt drapes and how the costume fitted me.
|5m white duchess satin||£25.00||Bought|
|5m black polycotton||£7.50||Bought|
Dress 80% (Posted 6th September 2014)
Made a circle skirt and sewed it on the bodice and sewed an invisible zip at the back.
Sewed a thick black waistband with interfacing into the skirt and sewed a zip into the back. The bow is made by inserting thick wadding into a rectangle and then gathering it in the middle to create a fake bow.
Petticoat II (Posted 6th September 2014)
Here's my tulle monster! 6 layers of tulle, all sewn into a hand with elastic threaded through. Needless to say I sorta bled all over the waistband of it because it was tough getting that safety pin through the waistband!
I'm never neat with my petticoats as you never see them, aha. So long as it's functional I don't particularly care about it!
Petticoat I (Posted 27th August 2014)
6 layers of tulle in different lengths, four quarters in each layer so that it's easier to gather. Two rows of straight stitches along the top of each quarter, this is like making another tutu...
No more sewing for me this week until my report is done, booo!
Overskirt III (Posted 27th August 2014)
I used the duchess satin as a guide for marking out the black polycotton lining. All sewn together and turned inside out. Ready for a zip to be sewn in, waistband and the lace!
Overskirt II (Posted 27th August 2014)
Sewed the white bits altogether!
Modelled by my mother :3
Overskirt I (Posted 27th August 2014)
I used the McCall's M6838 to create most of this costume.
The overskirt was the hi-low skirt pattern however I modified it by extending the semi-circle into more of a 3/4 circle. I did this because I felt the pictures didn't give it enough volume as I will have a giant petticoat underneath.
What you see in the picture is two out of four panels in the overskirt and the bodice panels at the top!