|Cost :||100ish including the wig, resin and extra bling|
|Time Taken :||A few weeks|
|Kendappa has beautiful costume designs, and this was the perfect chance to go Supah Bling :)|
I'm really happy with how this turned out. I wanted to try different fabrics to my previous Kendappa costume which was all duchess satin. Sewing chiffon is possibly the most hellish thing in the world, it moves and changes shape whilst you're cutting, but it looks so good if you beat it!
The skirt is a fuller-than-circle skirt, maths tells me it's 10-11 metres round the hem. I used such soft, draping fabric, it hangs deceptively flat, which is perfect for dancing :)
I used resin to make the gems (see journal) and funky foam for the wings and largest coins in the belt and headdress. I coated them in several layers of PVA glue and then sprayed them chrome silver. I swapped the spikes round the gems for another Kendappa headdress design with a wing/flame effect. I thought the one in this pic looked like knives strapped to the side of her head and that didn't seem to fit the image.
I left the shawl out because realistically it would just hang flat over the dress and hide everything. The only way to have it like in the picture would be to wire the edges and I could see that becoming really annoying in a crowded ballroom with people brushing past. I did consider having it over just one shoulder stitched from the edge of the dress strap and tucked into the belt (like a sari, which she also wears in other art), but none of my skirt fabric leftovers were quite the right shape :)
Most of the bling I already owned, I just needed to buy a matching necklace and a few bangles. The rest is all bellydancing coins and bells sewn to the costume.
Lets Travel Back in Time! (Posted 2nd November 2010)
With little time left before the 2010 Grand Cosplay Ball I've decided that instead of making a new costume I should improve Kendappa as I wasn't able to finish her properly the first time round.
I've also just finished reading the RG Veda manga so I love her more than ever. She's not just a pretty piece of art to me anymore so I can add a bit of character.
The bodice is left over black satin and after failing to find the darker blue for the front panel in a satin I went with overlaying a crinkle chiffon on the black. This turned out to be even better as having the same fabric for the whole base made shaping the bodice easier. The white sections were going to be plain white satin, but when I saw one with butterfly patterns weaved into the fabric I just had to use it even if it was flimsy and frayed like crazy (interfacing solves all).
This costume is the reason I got an overlocker; I couldn't have managed the chiffons and butterfly satin without it, they would have frayed into nothingness and left me trailing threads round the ballroom. In hind-sight, now I've made a few evening dresses, I'd overlay the butterfly fabric on a stronger satin to keep the whole bodice sturdier and neater, but the interfacing does it's job.
So there you have the construction of the base dress which will only be having a few minor tweaks in the overhaul :)
Chemical Fun (Posted 24th November 2008)
My first attempt at casting resin for that giant Clamp-gem look :)
The ones in the thick acrylic mold came out perfectly. The ones from the thinner plastic were fine until I tried to demold them when the top layer stuck to the mold and the gem was left cloudy.
Note to self: dribbled unmixed resin never dries, no licking fingers!
The Bells! (Posted 30th October 2008)
My workmates think I'm a morris dancer >.<
I think I now have all the materials I need, so let the bling begin!