|Cost :||About 175 Pounds|
|Awards :||MCM Expo 2011 Masquerade, 1st place Parade Winner.|
|Time Taken :||6 weeks from start to finish|
This is the first cosplay costume I ever made. I actually had no idea that "Cosplay" existed until 6 weeks before the London MCM Expo 2011 event.
Planning took about 1 week. I used an official Nintendo picture of Midna's true form as a reference.
I bought an extra large King size black duvet cover and fitted sheet set. Made out of cotton/ polyester. The size of the cape ( no hood) 6.1" wide & 5.10" long. I sewed most things on this cape by hand as I didn't know how to use a sweing machine xD
HOOD: Used a square piece of fabric, curled into a dome shape, cut off excess, made hemms, sewed to inside of cape with a sewing machine this time! Made a thin slit in the top. Used hemming tape, so that no hemms show.
SKIRT: Black fabric 90cm x 100cm made hemms by hand. Patterns hand painted, this took a week to finish, used official pic for reference. Made a template out of cardboard. Used 3 pots of Dylon Fabric paint: White, Red for dark fabric & blue
HEAD PIECES: Made out of craft foam. 4 layers of foam for the strange fish like looking piece that goes across her head. 4th layer I cut appart and snipped the detail into it. It was one of the most time consuming things ever! Glued with PVA + Water mix. All craft foam head pieces had about 14 layers of Pva + water to make them rock hard.
JEWELL: Made out of Fimo effects clay. Took 3 hours to make + 30 min in the oven.
BOW: Craft foam with many layers of Water & PVC glue. Painted with 3 different orange shades of Acrylic paint'
HAIR PIECE: This was one of the most difficult!!! I took about 3 weeks to get right! I made a roll out of cardboard. Used craft foam on the edges, bent the foam into peaks at the sides to give it an octagonal shape at top + bottom. Used a wooden stick through the middle + added 2 unique shapes at the ends, both made of 3 layers of craft foam.
BELT: Craft foam. Added craft foam pieces bent into peaks again on top of foam, hand sewn to keep in place. Added paper mache over it + many layers of PVA glue. Velcro was hand sewn at back to close it. 3 days to make total.
All foam was painted with Porsche Arctic Silver car touch-up paint and varnish.
INSIDE CAPE: 1 week to paint fully to detail. Used 3 pots of white paint. All patterns on the blue & black fabric was painted white first then I added Dylon's Silver paint on to the blue fabric patterns + 1 pot of Dylon's Blue Fabric Paint on to the black fabric patterns.
OUTSIDE CAPE: 1 week painted again fully to detail, I worked on this everyday from 5pm until 2am! -> I was sleep deprived after this! Lot's of concentration required.. Drew pattern on with chalk and painted white with a steady hand :)
First I painted the pattern using white fabric paint on to long black gloves and later painted over it agin with blue paint. When that was dry I attached something called " Electroluminescent Wire" or EL-wire for short onto the gloves. It's a light with a battery pack that I hid in the black body I was wearing. The wire glows in the dark & has 3 settings but was quite pricey at £40. I used 5m of El-wire.
Body Paint by Mehron.
Eye Makeup: Ben Nye - MagiColour Aqua paint in Black + Vivid Violet;
Chanel Waterproof eyeliner & Chanel purple eyeshadow in Amethyst,
Lancome Hypnose Mascara
Lips: Chanel pink lipstick.