|MCM Expo May 2012?|
For Saturday of Kitacon. To be worn until mid-afternoon or until my feet kill me.
EDIT: May Expo
? : Yuna
Sword (Posted 2nd April 2012)
I actually started this sword last summer when I condiered going to Alcon.
Anyway please read on for a brief run through of the stages I went through to make the sword. I used Kamui's method.
1. PVC pipe
Wig post-styling (Posted 30th December 2011)
Involved scissors, Got2b glued spiking glue, a can and a half of hairspray and hi-tack fabric glue.
Wig before styling (Posted 30th December 2011)
80cm to a metre grey mix wig. At £12 I was unsure of the quality I could expect. I was pleasantly surprised.
Top (Posted 26th November 2011)
This is more of a cape than a top. I've made a black lycra boob tube to wear underneath as this seems to be what the reference images indicate. The boob tube will ultimately be attached to the suspenders for security.
The cape/top is made out of fake leather in two parts: The part with the cross and the part with the studs. The two parts were later sewn together. The lower part is lined with black fabric I had lying around. The top part is doubled up leatherette with black leatherette zigzag stitched to the border like piping. I found that wrapping the cape around my arms severely restricted movement so the top is connected at the front by a length of elastic to increase manoeuvrability. I intend to sew additional loops of elastic into the sides to slip around my arms for further security.
Cross: Cardboard base. Clay on top.
Studs: These were made out of craft foam and iron on nail heads. I haven't counted the studs since I finished, but there are over one hundred of them.
Belts (Posted 26th November 2011)
So far I've made the hip belt with the skull and the two waist belts with the eyelets. Most of the eyelets are fake (black 3D paint painted silver). Some of the eyelets are real only because I uncovered an eyelet belt in my wardrobe.
Trousers (Posted 19th November 2011)
Well I'm waiting for 1. materials to arrive and 2. a trip to the fabric shop so I can't start construction of my next top project yet, so I thought I'd continue tossing Paine together from what I had lying around.
The picturesd trousers stared life as high waisted tight leather trousers. Add elastic, scissors, red leatherette, a sewing machine and time and this is the result.
My plan is to have the elastic doing the main holding together for the sides of the trousers, which will then be forgiving of any shape change I should go through between now and whenever I actually wear this. I'll add decorative straps and buckles/fake buckles over the top at a later date.
I also decided to have the red leatherette between the parts of the straps seperate from the braces even though they look like one continuous piece in the ref pics. This is for manouvarability more than anything
Best case scenario I'll wear this to go with Furiephoenix's Rikku at Kitacon 201,2 but this will depend on time and money. I figured I can finish as much as I can and then if I find I can afford it, it won't be such a last minute rush.
Backburner (Posted 1st June 2011)
Paine is officially on a backburner as Furiephoenix is not sure when she'll be doing Rikku and I'm currently more engaged by Rin, Echidna and Crying Wolf. The trousers have been cut and pinned thought, ready for sewing, and tomorrow I'm going fabric shopping and I have both black and red fake leather on my list (for another cosplay but it's funny how things work out).
I had originally hoped to use a second pair of leather trousers to make the top but after constructing a pattern from an old bed sheet I think I really need one continuous length of fabric.