trolljima
 


Costume :Gray Fox
Variant :Cyborg Ninja
Source :Metal Gear Solid 1
Progress :In Progress
Worn At :FushiCon 2011


Costume Photos

Ref 11

Ref 10

Ref 9

Ref 8

Ref 7

Ref 6

Ref 5

Ref 4

Ref 3

Ref 2

Ref 1

 


Costume Information

General
Cost : 0.00
Time Taken : 5 hours SO FAR

Description
My most ambitious (insane?) project yet. I'm going to be, as far as I can tell, getting into thermoplastics and resin casting and all kinds of crazy stuff for this one, so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Many thanks to Pixie Kitty and Neon Genocide's Advanced Cosplay panel at Kita 2011 and their lovely website (pixiekitty.net) for enabling and inspiring me to do this!

Comments

Avatar Image

good luck with this one!

by CyanideCustard on Wednesday, 6 April, 2011 - 12:36
 

To-Do List

HelmetHighPlanned
KatanaHighPlanned
BodysuitHighPlanned

Shopping List

Upholstery foam£5.00Bought
Modroc£20.00Bought
Duct tape£2.50To Buy
Clay£20.00To Buy
LEDs and wiring£10.00To Buy
voice distorter£12.00To Buy
acrylic satin varnish £5.00To Buy
Total£74.50

Journal

Well, it's been a while! (Posted 30th June 2011)

So this costume has been on hold for a bit while I tried to work out some rather awkward technical details. Specifically, /how the heck do I create a head-shape to mod-roc onto?/ Well, problem solved - fine gauge modelling mesh is my friend, and I'm disappointed I didn't think of it sooner! Light, flexible, holds it's shape - the perfect material, not only for the helmet, but for the armour plates on the body suit too! Still going to be coated in mod roc and then paper clay! Best idea ever! Just got to sit tight and wait for my lovely supplies to ship from ebay now!!

Planning Sketches - Helmet (Posted 6th April 2011)

To go with my previous journal post, some of the planning sketches that I have done =D This might make some of my rambling a bit clearer.

Planning stage - Helmet (Posted 6th April 2011)

Five hours of just sitting down thinking has gone into this costume so far - most of this on the helmet. I am going to build in LEDs to make the orange lights on the helmet glow all pretty-like. The front section is going to open on little rails so I don't have to take the blasted thing off every time I want to have a break from getting my nose squashed. I'm also going to build a voice distorter into the chin of the helmet as well to get that cool Cyborg-voice effect.

My initial thoughts on the building process are as follows:-

1. Get some thin upholstery foam (half an inch thick maybe) and, using the hundreds of reference images I have acquired and drawn, cut to appropriate shapes for the helmet. The front plates will not be padded, however. Duct tape together around my head to check fit. The slight give on the upholstery foam will make for a more comfortable fit, and will also allow me to build a bunch of electronics and stuff in without them rubbing against my head.
2. Find/borrow a mannequin head to plonk the foam on. Wrap in cling film and cover in mod roc. Wait until it's completely dry.
3. Draw out in pencil where the joins in the helmet are and slice the mod roc accordingly.
4. Cover mod roc with lightweight clay (I'm thinking either Paper Clay or Crayola Model Magic right now.) MAKE IT AS SMOOTH AS POSSIBLE. Plenty of water and obsessive sanding with fine grain sandpaper is going to happen at this point.
5. Paint with several layers of Gesso for added smoothness and durability, then paint with white acrylic paint. When this is dry, a mid-shine gloss varnish layer over the top for that wonderful shiny plastic look. Seal the foam inner with mod podge or similar, then paint with black acrylic.
6. Figure out the goddamn wiring for the LEDs and the placement of the mic for the voice distorter before I glue the outer shell of the helmet to the foam inner. Also cut small grooves into the foam for the wiring to slot into. My current plan for the power source of the LEDs is to have a wire running down the inside of my bodysuit to emerge by my hip, where I'll have a belt with a pouch in it. LEDs are switched on by me flipping a switch on a battery pak stored in that pouch (same goes for the power source of the LEDs I plan to attach to the sword, but I'll talk about that at a later date.)
7. When all the wiring and LEDs are organised and fixed in place on the foam, check the placement and fit of the outer shell of the helmet. Attach the rails and such to the front panels of the helmet. while the pieces are still separate, and check for freedom of movement etc. Glue down with either spray glue or super glue (I'm a little wary of solvent glue disintegrating the upholstery foam).
8. Add details and finishing touches such as the orange logo on the forehead. Try helmet on to check fit etc.

I'll upload some of my planning sketches for this stuff when they're done and attach them to this journal. I'm spending a lot of time just sketching out the helmet at every angle I can think of and illustrating little details rather obsessively at the moment. I'll probably do this until I know the whole thing backwards and upside down because drawing helps me to picture things in terms of 3D space.

I think I'm going to update this journal fairly often if I can - at least as often as some kind of reportable progress has been made - it's nice to have somewhere to record thought processes that I CAN'T PUT DOWN AND LOSE.

MY GOD THIS IS LONG. AND PROBABLY BORING.