madmazda86
 


Costume :Feldt Grace
Variant :Season 2 Flight Suit
Source :Mobile Suit Gundam00
Progress :Complete
Worn At :Minamicon 18 (2012)


Costume Photos

Feldt and Lockon - Having Words

Feldt and Lockon - Not Talking

Grumpy-face Feldt

Feldt and Haro

Feldt and Lockon

Feldt Full Body Shot

Feldt Back Shot

Feldt Front Shot

 


Costume Information

General
Cost : £32
Time Taken : 30 hours

Description
Hooray for S2 Feldt and NOT having incredibly boofy pigtails! I was originally going to make this for October Expo and then ran out of time, so I made it for Minamicon 18 instead, with Tom joining me as Lockon Stratos. This costume turned out to be a lot more complex than previously imagined - as we were making matching outfits they had to be of the same fabric, and while getting the jersey cotton for the poloneck tops was easy enough, the jackets both needed to be hand-dyed to the correct shade prior to being sewn together. It was very much a joint project between Tom and I - I patterned and sewed the polonecks and the jackets, he patterned and made the trousers as well as helping with the dying and finishing of the jackets.

There was a lot of complicated seamwork involved, particularly with the trousers - bizarrely mine had the correctly angled seams and his didn't no matter what he tried! I hadinitially made the polonecks to have a diamond shaped hole in the middle, and I was going to put the fabric for the diamond behind it and edge with bias binding to give it some depth, and to also allow a zip on the upper half as shown in the anime. However the diamond hole I had cut turned out to stretch much bigger when worn and it just looked awful so I had to abandon the idea and cut a new front panel. Instead I appliqued the shape on and I think it looks a lot better like that so I guess it's one case where the sacrifice of accuracy turned out okay.

There's a lot of things we'd like to improve with these costumes - it's pretty obvious from the full body shots that neither of us have the correct footwear. This is because I attempted to make boot covers for the first time, and the odd styling of the navy uppers was tricky for me to replicate. Three mockups and I still hadn't achieved it with three days until the convention so I decided to abandon the idea and make Haro instead. I think it was worth it - Haro got more attention than we did XD

I'm also not hugely happy with my wig - Tom's looks great but I have learned from doing this costume that sometimes it is appropriate to go for a really bright rather than toned-down hair colour. Cerise fabric and baby pink wig really didn't gel. I think I'd like to have a go at restyling it to make the fringe more prominent as at the moment it looks really flat against my forehead and blends in too much with the bangs. I think it would probably involve a lot of backcombing and maybe careful layering to make it more boofy. Need to look up some tutorials on that.

Tom would also like to redo his trousers to make his seams more angular at the front.

We like the costumes all in all but definitely there are refinements to be made! I learnt a lot of things from doing it, though, which is great :)

Comments

Avatar Image

Really nice Feldt, the costume is really well made :D Looks great :D

by j_mercuryuk on Thursday, 29 March, 2012 - 04:14
 

Journal

Fabric hunting (Posted 27th September 2011)

I love the season 2 outfits for their colour schemes, but geezo, it's hard to find the right colours when you're wanting the fabrics! Tom and I have decided to make the tops underneath the jackets out of stretch material so we can applique the green diamond on and just put the tops on like jumpers. Mandors didn't have the colours we wanted so after ages scouring online, I found a company called http://www.tissufabrics.co.uk - they had a super range of colours so we got all the fabric for the tops and the trousers from there! All their stretch fabric we wanted was £3.50 a metre, so was quite pleased to get the fabric for the bulk of both our costumes for £64, including first class postage so we can get started on them this week.

The next challenge will be finding the right colours for the jackets, which we wanted to make out of twill or drill. Options available are settling for a less ideal fabric to get the colours we want (as they seem readily available in normal cotton but not in twill/drill weights), scouring online to get the right colours (thus far unsuccessful ><;), or experimenting with dyes. I should be okay for Feldt as Dylon do Flamingo Pink and Baby Pink colours which are about right. But getting the right Teal and Petrol colours for Lockon's jacket will be harder.