|Wanted a bit of an update without a complete overhaul so am trying to modify Louis a bit. Don't expect much gadgetry for his first outing as I'm severely running low on time LOL|
Wings Step 6 - Completion Wings Open (Posted 31st May 2011)
So the wings worked and looked alright.
Then the straps broke...
So I had bloody Duct-Tape straps at Expo...ah well the Mark II wings will be better!
Wings Step 5 - Completion Wings Closed (Posted 30th May 2011)
Forgot to mention that I also drilled some holes in some blocks of wood and attached the PVC to them with screws.
Once everything was painted, I attached the material to the hooks and hot-glued it in place around one of the joints. It was then testing time!
Wings Step 4 (Posted 29th May 2011)
For the next step it was a case of measuring out where I would need holes to attach the material to and drilling through them. I then attached shower-curtain hooks and hot-glued them in place.
Next step was several coats of plastic primer and several coats of copper paint. (I actually had a few people over the weekend who thought it was real copper piping so I was really pleased with the result ^_^)
Wings Step 3 (Posted 28th May 2011)
Attached the PVC piping and joints together with PVC cement...this failed as I used push-fitting joints so instead...filled the joints with copious amounts of hot-glue and connected them.
I then drilled a small hole through the top of the opening section and threaded braided cable through it, tying it in a knot and crimping in place.
Following that, I added eyelets along the length of the PVC pipe to create a simplistic pully system for them.
Wings Step 2 (Posted 27th May 2011)
In my lovely kitchen (sorry housemates!) I used my dremel tool to cut the PVC piping down to a size I was comfortable working with (was a hacksaw first, it broke...another trip to B&Q...). I then cut the thicker PVC into four smaller pieces to make the joints of the wings.
Using the dremel, I cut slots in the wide PVC piping so that the thin PVC piping could slot into it nicely. Then it was a case of drilling through both and using a nut and bolt to hold it place but also leave it flexible enough to open and close.