Tagged Gallery Images
Up to five images tagged in the galleries will be shown above.
|Princess Tutu required cosplay, these uniforms were the simpler option and although I find them kind of ugly and very school uniformish, they’re somehow sickeningly adorable at the same time. For Japan Expo (Paris) and AmeCon in 2008 I already had a wig suitable for Lilie. I just needed to brush out the ringlets a bit, and make the bows. I unearthed the costume again for AmeCon 2010 and SunnyCon in 2013, then finally styled a wig for Ahiru when I wore it again at MCM Scotland Comic Con in 2016. It may not be the most professional thing I’ve sewn, but I like that it’s comfy, practical to wear and it’s one of the few costumes that I can simply throw it in the washing machine after a con without any worries. |
I started out with an ordinary jacket pattern to alter, and with a mock-up, I re-shaped it into that cropped, curved front shape. I drafted out the sleeves myself - there's a complete sleeve, acting as a stay, then the puffy section on top, and a flared cuff. The jackets are lined in blue, with grey facings around all the edges and cuffs, and the trim is blue bias tape. The bias tape could probably be thinner, but I got it cheap in bulk, so just went with it. I also think that the grey polyester twill could be lighter, but it was what was readily available, and it worked out very well otherwise. Had I known about understitching when I made this, that would have been a good idea. As it is, topstitching secures the facings.
When making the skirt, I started out with a gathered circle skirt, but that turned out to be too full! It’s cut down into more of a gathered trapezoid shape. I didn’t want to make the hem scalloped since I don’t like the effect, or the effort involved in hemming it! So it’s just a plain, full, gathered skirt with a petticoat underneath.
The bodice was somewhat based off a fitted dress bodice pattern which I knew fitted me well. I don’t think these dresses are very flattering so the closer the fit at the waist the better, and also a good fit is helpful for keeping that low front in place. I also made sure the back of the bodice was high to counteract the low front. The front is lined for the curved cutout. The skirt was then sewn to the bodice, and there’s an invisible zip down the side.
The blouse is an utter cheat - a Primark t-shirt sliced down the front, then a collar sewn on. The brooch is fimo clay and for Ahiru I also made a red pendant painted with nail polish.
My socks have those awesome zigzag tops which I made from stretchy t-shirt cotton, and they’re sewn to a spare pair of socks. I just used shoes I already had, since I wasn’t concerned with precise accuracy.
For MCM Scotland Comic Con in 2016 I wore this costume again as Ahiru. I got the idea to wear it again mostly because I have new super-comfy Clarks shoes which are a good match for the costume, but my Lilie wig was looking a bit sorry for itself. I ran across a long wig in the perfect Ahiru colour on ebay and since it was cheap, I bought two of the wigs to combine for the style.
I cut apart one of the wigs and sewed in the wefts from it around the hairline of the other wig to create enough volume for the spikes. The rest of the second wig was sewn in at the back to add length and volume to the ponytail. As a result, it’s quite a heavy wig and I have several combs and clips sewn in to secure it. The spikes were secured with hairspray and clear silicone sealant at the tips. The ahoge on top is built around a length of wire which I stuck the ends of the hair to with the sealant.