|Time Taken :||30 hours|
|This was the first hardcore costume that I've done. I'm really proud of my work so far. In the Kimblee costume, much of the sewing was directed by a friend's mum, but my own mother taught me how to use the sewing machine specifically so I could make this costume. |
It consists of:
1) White under-kimono (bought on sale in Japan in the spring of 2007 during a vacation for 2,000 Yen: cheap!)
2) Red under-kimono, worn overtop of the white one. This one was sewn based off of the shape of the existing white under-kimono, with slightly longer sleeves and much less skillful sewing on my part
3) White haori, worn overtop of both under-kimono. The sleeves were sewn in the same manner as what goes underneath, but the front and collar are completely different. I had to figure out the construction of those latter things by myself. (Note to self: next time, do not choose a costume that involves unfindable patterns and extreme adjustments with only limited sewing experience)
4) Teal pants, sewn to be very baggy. I threaded a piece of knitting wool through the bottoms of the hems, to create a short of draw-string so that the fabric would poof out just above my ankles
6) White tabi socks (bought in Japan for 500 Yen in a tourist trap), black velvet flip-flops. The flip-flops were a neccessary evil, as I couldn't walk around in merely tabi socks, like Sai does in canon. (He's a ghost, and therefore insubstantial: my socks are not. He probably even floats above the ground.)
7) Black Eboshi. This hat was made out of felt (note to self: don't choose to wear costumes with a billion layers and felt hats in the summertime). It's actually held up by a papery white chef's hat, folded flat inside. It was the perfect shape to use as a base.
8) White folding fan, to use as prop.
The hardest part had to be sewing the sleeves on. The sleeves themselves were simple affairs: essentially loops of fabric, more bulky than difficult in shape to sew. However, getting them attached to the torso part... D: Just when I'd figured out how to do it for the smaller red under-kimono, I realized that that wouldn't work for the white haori, as there are slits in the shoulders... but I figured it out. With much trial and error.
Also, the collar for the white haori was very troublesome. I ended up using velcro to hold it closed, as one small decorative button at the collar wasn't terribly useful. The button I made myself. The button part was crocheted, then sewn to make sure it wouldn't come appart. I folded the fabric of the collar over it, and voila! The loop was made of two pieces of tassel cord, sewn messily together. Luckily enough, it's hard to see how scruffy that join looks from photographs, as it's white on white on white...
I really enjoy walking around with these sleeves. I only lament that the white outer sleeves are so long, and as such the red sleeves are difficult to see.
This costume was debued at the Japan Expo in Paris, 2008! :D I also plan to wear it at various smaller, highschool cons around Alberta, as well as the Animethon in Edmonton this August.