|Time Taken :||Between 2009 and now, between our work schedules.|
|Con 2 of 2011 - Ayacon. |
As usual extra work to be done, decided after May MCM Expo.
Additional progress photos can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.423883026160.193431.512936160
Pauldrons/ Masamune: Anthony (http://www.abandonedwarehousestudios.co.uk/) and boyf Steve (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=670001276&ref=ts)
Belt/Harness (with strapping and logo), Boot Covers, Wig bang styling/extensions: Myself
|Belt - "General Wrestlers" style base||High||Complete|
|Belt - Cross-strap harness||High||Complete|
|Cuffs Construction||High||In Progress|
|Cosmetic - Practice Open Chest binding||High||In Progress|
|Wig (Extensions/ Thickening of Bangs)||Medium||Complete|
|Buy - New Trenchcoat, with buckles/cuffs detached for further customisation||Medium||In Progress|
|Wig (General Wash/Style/Neaten)||Low||Complete|
|Belt - SOLDIER Logo||Low||Complete|
|Belt - Double belt "skirt"; to connect with top of leather pants||Low||Complete|
|Buy Contact Lenses, Have eyebrows shaped before con||Low||In Progress|
May Expo to Ayacon 2011 (Posted 12th June 2011)
This will be my first Ayacon in August, heard a lot of good things but still don't know what to expect really! Possibly cracking back out the old SOLDIER dress jacket for the party...we'll see!
That being said, there is a lot of work to be done to this cosplay before then. As pleased as I was with the SOLDIER belt when I thought it was 100% complete, wearing it for a long amount of time was annoying to say the least. As it's supposed to sit just above my hips, turns out all my hips did was ride the belt up the whole time at Expo. It made for a great gap where I could keep phone/fags etc but it just made the whole cosplay feel too huge for me! Stripping of the ultra thickness of the belt must be done in order for it to sit closer. Not to mention the bare-chest effect must be changed as losing 2 layers of skin in some places with Coach tape is something I'm not wanting to repeat!
Also planning to make pauldrons shinier silver but we'll see how far we get with that.
Post-Expo (Posted 30th May 2011)
SO much many more improvements to make. Everytime I wear this for a con it's the same story.
For the record, I am NEVER attempting an open chest bind again.
May is upon us! (Posted 2nd May 2011)
I'm a mixture of excited and concerned when it comes to this cosplay at the moment. Excited as the finished parts are promising to come together to enhance this costume in ways I've not ever thought I'd be able to do, worried as there are still key parts to be finished in the final weeks before Expo.
That being said, Masamune's blade will be completed in the next couple of days; the major work is now just the handle detail (white foam and blue velvet cord) to be done. I've also heard that Pauldrons are in their final stages too. Will upload photo's as I can get to them.
Progress I never thought would get this far! (Posted 20th March 2011)
The title says it all. One part of this cosplay is completed finally after many months of off-and-on work. Straps, belt, double belt "skirt" has all been constructed with hardly any help. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself right now. The Logo has been completed for a while but I'm determined not to affix that to the belt until everything else is completed; it will be the finishing touch :)
However in the process I have decided to add a zip to the inner leg of my boot covers just to take some of the tightness in putting them on over my boots. This means unpicking my stitching on one side of the flares and re-stitching a zip in. Then I have to start thinking about how (and where) to put the more cosmetic boot-straps.
My deadline for all of this I'm hoping will be mid-April. Once boot covers are done I will be able to order in the extensions for my bangs on my wig and start the time-consuming task of brushing out a 60-inch (i think!) silver wig that has been in storage since the Cosplay Cruise last year.
Pauldrons are going well though I've been banned to put any other progress pictures up. My boyfriend is trying his hand at making these so I can understand. I can say they are sitting at around 70-80% complete now, so much so that he's started to attempt to build a new Masamune.
Not worried.... (Posted 2nd March 2011)
I commented on FB 13 weeks to go and no one seemed to get it! LOL. I'm starting to get a little nervous that it's the start of March already and I still have bits of cosplay in 20-50% stages of making with only less than 3 months left before May Expo. That being said, a boot cover that I thought would take me weeks to finish sewing a flare into (due to unrelenting, stiff boot-leather) actually took me only two evenings to do. That means, that hopefully by the weekend said boot covers could be 80-90% complete. Then there is belt to finish and then it will be time for ordering weaves for my wig extensions. I've got a nice long list to get through yet...
What a weekend! (Posted 20th February 2011)
I just want to put out a huge shout out to Rhinonuts for really giving me the kick up the ass that I needed to start to actually work on the massive list of stuff that seems to be accumulating while I sit and feel sorry for myself.
We went and got quite possibly (in my opinion) the best base set of thigh boots that we could have got to make a start on these boot covers. Great thing is, the buckle detail is fairly close and even the grade of pleather that they are made out of closely matches the look of my leather pants for this cosplay. We had a try on and with a squeeze they fit over my boots tightly but not too tightly. Just need to add a bit of a flare to the inside and then that'll be pretty much job done! (Pics uploading in a min)
Looks like this might be coming together after all!