|Cost :||£20 unless you count the parts I already had to hand.|
|Time Taken :||From start to finish, 6 days|
|This cosplay was a challenge; not for complexity, but because I had a week to complete it. This meant there was no time to order materials online and I only had what the local shops could provide. As a result, i got inventive with what I already had in my cosplay supplies. |
Dress: Adapted from Simplicity pattern 5561. I would recommend boning the bodice to help support the wings as I had problems with the whole affair slipping. Made from white denim simply because I had some to hand and then dyed green by mixing Dylan's Amazon green and Tropical green in equal measure.
Shoes: I bought some pale slipper style shoes from Tesco for a fiver, sanded them down, painted them green, then made bobbles and glued them on.
Wig: I killed my Rikku wig. I pulled out the braids. Restyles the base wig and then turned a clip on ponytail attachment into a bun. Ideally I would buy a short blonde wig and then add a bun attachment. I wound a shoelace around the bun.
Wings: I wanted to give the impression of the wings emerging from my back so that ruled out shoulder straps. I twisted wire into the wing shape I wanted. Before you ask what wire I used, it was simply what my parent's garage coughed up. If it helps, it was the thickness of coat hanger wire. Each wing had a hook folded into it which I could push down the back of the dress and my bra. The hook of each wing was connected to its opposite by a pair of wire bars, which were in place to give structural support and keep the wings upright.
I then went on a mission to find pale blue or white sheer tights. Nightmare! You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find white tights! Ideally I wanted large ones, but in the end I had to settle for opaque children's. The tights were stretched over the wire frame and sewn in place, making sure to cover any sharp edges the wire might have.
Once the base was complete I applied gliter glue to the wings in swirly whirly patterns.
Ears: My one internet buy were a pair of pointed ear tips which could be attached with liquid latex. I still have latex in my hair...
Conclusion: I either need to bone the dress or attach clear straps, as it struggled with the weight of the wings.