|Time Taken :||4 months on and off|
|I wont go into the reasons as to why I love Silent Hill and Pyramid Head and all the metaphorical reasons why pyramid Head is in Silent Hill 2 and blah blah blah, I'm sure if you've played the game you know all this. Granted, we've changed the end of the head to be pointed rather than squared off, because we think it looks better. XD|
Anyway, this was a piece for my brother, which was started quite a while ago and I never got round to finishing because I just never had time, especially when my brother moved to a new apartment. We ended up losing a lot of stuff due to packing and the helmet sat on his wardrobe unfinished and gathering dust. I gave it the final coat of paint and sealant a couple of weeks ago and decided to take a quick picture of him in it for on here. See, I'm actually doing stuff! :P
The base of the head was made out of a thing wire frame for the shape. We then covered it in duct tape to thicken the wire and then cut out the sides and angles out of poster board, which is then covered in a thin layer of papier mache which we smoothed out as flat as we could get. And I mean FLAT. We were layering it on the board, then wetting it down with pva and water so that it'd be devoid of ridges and crumpling which is common with papier mache if you're not careful. (We also used like a wood putty from the local DIY shop to help with ridges and the bend at the back of the ridge. The mache hides the poster board joint well as its thick and was a large piece of paper, rather than little bits, as we wanted a smooth join) Once it was dry, we lined the inside with felt, though it needs something in it to support the head, because at the moment it has no padding inside and as such, it slips forward so it looks like the wearer is continuously looking down. xD
The pipes on the side are plastic piping annnd the knobs and what not are bottle caps covered in papier mache. The pipes were also covered in papier mache, though only at the ends to sort of...merge the helmet and pipes together. The gauze is just fabric on the inside and like a rubber material we found in my dad's garage, rather than metal, which was easier to place between the poster board layers. :D
Once it was all dry, we put a covering of pva and water on it again and then painted it using acrylics which we mixed to get our own colour, sort of a coppery, gun metallic grey/ metallic finish type...thing. It was then covered in a thin layer of casting resin to make it stronger.
Its actually very light, I'm able to pick it up with one hand and its comfy to say its got no padding on the inside for the head. But that is going to be fixed if my brother decides he wants to have the full costume because at the moment he isn't fussed as he doesn't want to go to a con. (The sheer amount of people freaks him out and he'd not like all the glomping and hugging.), so at the mo its just a head. XD