|Cost :||£100 (including wings)|
|Awards :||2nd Place - London MCM Expo May 2007 - Sat|
|Time Taken :||100 hours ??? I think...|
|It is very unlikely to catch me even wearing the slightest hint of pink. So I dont't know what was going through my head when I picked this costume ?!? I recall wanting clamp wings and I basically picked a costume that I could attack wings onto with ease.|
I started off with a fitted princess seamed jacket pattern, I made up a mock using scrap fabric and added seams at the back so I could sew in zips. I also added a pleat in the centre back, this was to allow for extra space when wearing the wing harness. The Jacket does up with a zip underneath the red panel, which swings over to be attackes by hooks and eyes.
The Tails are basically long tear drop shaped pieces of fabric, curved at the top and gathering into the hem of the jacket. I added a double layer of dress net inside the tails to give them some shape and support.
Fabric choices : -
Pink Cotton twill for the jacket body, skirt, hat etc
Red dyed cotton for the front panel, boot tops, skirt pleats. etc (This was originally dyed for my Tsubasa sakura costume but I didn't like the colour)
Pink cotton jersey for the shorts
Red dyed cotton jersey to match the above red fabric for the gloves
Gold Crepe back satin for the lining and binding (This is a really cheap horrible satin from www.cheapfabrics.com, the crepe side isn't really crepe but i find it works wonders for triming and lining as it has a nice shene to it!)
The skirt is based on a can-can skirt pattern, I didn't gather it into the waistband at the front, as I wanted it to lie flat. The front is also interfaced to give it that crisp look. Underneath the top layer is red lining fabric trimed with pleated red cotton. I also sewed in 4 layes of gathered netting, which gave the skirt its shape.
The shorts were made using a pattern I found online, They where harder to make than I though!
The gloves, OMG.. I hate gloves. I sketched around my hand as a base pattern, and then worked of trial and error... NEVER AGAIN.
I made the hat, again by trial and error. Using a headband and some newpaper, I made the pattern by fiddling with shapes on a wig head. The whole thing is heavily interfaced. The Wing shape is slighly padded to give it a puffed look
The shoes started of life as black primark boots, and where transformed using acryic paint and hot glue.
The whole costume was trimmed in hand made bais binding and Wing shaped appliques.
Which brings me onto the wings. The frames where made using copper tubing and alluminium wire. Then fully quilted using 8 0z wadding... I wanted to make them look like clouds!!!!! I then sticthed white polycotton over the top. I got through 2 seasons of lost doing this infront of the TV! The wings slot into a harness which is worn underneath the jacket through zips!
I also made sakuras star seal. This was made by painting clear PVC with gold paint and backing it in navy fabric!
The staff was made with some help from a friends and painted by me with acrylic paint!