|Time Taken :||~1 month, off and on|
|I'm not familiar with the character (due to my lamentable lack of a PS3), but it's for a group cosplay, and my friends assured me Salvatore was the best fit for me. I am thrilled to not be wearing a skirt for once.|
Jacket - Modified from Simplicity pattern #3628. I chose to use black polyester suiting rather than leather, which is expensive and difficult to work with. I sewed it in a size too small width-wise, to help it gape open at the bust and midriff. I made up my own pattern for the collar, cuffs, and armbands, and added false pocket bands on the upper torso. The stripes on the cuff and armbands, as well as the gold trim, are done with bias tape. The insignia on the back was painted with acrylic paint with a textile medium added, and took three layers. The jacket closes with hooks and eyes on the inside. I use a special 'low plunge' bra to keep it from being seen, and flash tape for extra security.
Shorts - Modified from McCall's pattern #5391. I shortened some dimensions so that it would sit lower on my hips than the pattern showed, and hemmed it as high as it would go without screwing up the pockets. It was my first time ever doing pants with a fly.
Shoes - First try at partial boot covers. I found boots on eBay that had the heel and toe shape I wanted, but they didn't come up high enough, and I wanted them to gape around the leg instead of fitting close. So I built boot covers from the ankle up, tracing the shoe for a basic pattern. They close with a zipper in back. The leather is just upholstery leather, which I find more cost effective (and also matched the sheen of the original shoe better). The belts are heavily interfaced fabric with gold buckles I found on eBay.
Wig - Another eBay find. I looked through many blonde wigs to find the dirty sort-of blonde I wanted. Her bangs required a little styling.
Gears & Belt Buckle - My first try at foam 'armor.' I Googled a number of tutorials for tips on how to start. I cut the pieces from yellow foam, and then gave them 8 coats of 2 parts Elmer's glue, 1 part water. They were then given a few coats of gold spray paint. The gears are hotglued to the jacket, and the belt buckle has two elastic straps on the back that allow it to be slid over the real buckle of the belt.
Makeup/Accessories - I use neutral toned makeup for Salvatore for a more natural look. I leave my eyebrows their natural color to blend in with the blonde a little more. Her white belt and the fake eartips were found on eBay, and the black stockings and suspenders (which can't be seen) on Amazon.com. The white gloves were a fortuitous Goodwill find, and cost all of $2. The eartips started out too pale, and were hand-painted to match my skintone with acrylic model paints. They are held on with spirit gum.