|Cost :||Loads lol|
|Awards :||Second Place (Groups?) Japan Expo Paris|
|Time Taken :||9 months|
|Make awesome shoulder armour ^^||High||Planned|
|Make front skirt thingy lol||Medium||Complete|
|Make the outer armoured layer of skirt||Medium||Complete|
|Make neck armour/plate||Medium||Complete|
|Make chest amour||Medium||Planned|
|Make waist armour thingy (oooh so tecnical)||Medium||Planned|
|Make under shirt||Low||Complete|
|Make wrist guards and gloves||Low||Complete|
|Make up test||Low||Planned|
|Buy hair extentions/cut and dye hair||Low||Planned|
More progress (Posted 5th February 2009)
Since my last entry things have been progressing slower than I would have liked but at least I have managed some progress. Once all the detailing and paper Mache were completely dry I set about spraying the undercoat with black paint. While I waited for this to dry I made a start on the plumes. After much research regarding feathers and thinking about cost and practicalities I decided to create the red plumes from fun fur. I know that this might seem like a crazy but I am hoping that my plan will work as feathers are just so expensive and will be awkward to work with. So I have purchased half a metre of long red fun fur which I cut into four strips of about four inches wide. I machine sewed the strips together (two strips together) across the width to form two very long strips. Next I brought the two edges of the strips (length ways) together (right side facing outwards) and sewed all the way down the length of the strips. Once I had sewn the fur strips into a tube I started the long task of over sewing the edge to create the ‘spine’ of the plume with embroidery thread. After I had sewn the ‘spine’ I threaded a length of 2mm garden wire into the fur tube and then sewed it into place along the edge of the plume. I used duct tape to fix three thinner strips of garden wire at the end of the main length of wire to help secure the plume to the headdress. To finish off the plume I wrapped duct tape to the base of the wire at the bottom of the fur and allowed the thinner strips to stick out of the plume.
Start of detailing on headdress (Posted 20th November 2008)
After applying several layers of paper Mache (I like to use small, torn sections of newspaper with a mixture of PVA glue and water) which I allowed to dry completely in the airing cupboard I was ready to start adding the gold detailing. I decided to build up the details by layering up cardboard which I will then cover in a layer of paper Mache (with tissue paper) to seal the design before painting. I did that method for the designs on my shamisen and it seemed to work pretty well. The first thing I did was cut out a diamond shape for the detailing at the front of the headdress. Once I had made the base diamond I drew out the inner pattern so that I could get the proportions right and when I was happy with that I used greaseproof paper to trace the pattern. Next I traced the pattern several times onto another piece of cardboard and then cut them out. I stuck each piece of the pattern that I wanted to stand out onto the base diamond until I had achieved a slightly raised effected which I would later cover with paper Mache.
Base of headdress (Posted 16th November 2008)
After about a week mucking about with wire mesh I have finally made the base for the headdress…I seem to have an antenna theme going on with my costumes at the moment what with Pang Tong and now Lu Bu. The base of the headdress is made from wire mesh, garden wire and cardboard. I started by making a crown piece, secured by a thin craft wire and was made slightly larger than my head so I could line it later as I don’t fancy going all day without some kind of padding in the thing. Next I cut an oval shape from card and once happy with the size I used this as a template for the wire mesh. I attached the oval to the front of the crown by threading the craft wire through the holes. I repeated the progress with the two gold wing details at the side of the headdress, keeping a cardboard template of each detail so I would be able to define the gold patterns after the base had been applied with several layers of paper Mache. Once the wire mesh was in place I had added a section to the back of the headdress between the top of the oval and three inches down which I hope will be a good enough support for when I add the feather plumes. Then I used more cardboard templates to define the shape if the headdress at the bottom, sides and around the oval.
Started on Lu Bu! (Posted 9th November 2008)
Oh no…it’s Lu Bu.