|Time Taken :||2 years|
|An improved version of my previous Meg costume. This was really fun to do last May, but I still wasn't completely happy with the costume, so I set out to improve it yet again.|
This required a complete re-make of the dress with a better design and materials, and needed re-fitting since my measurements have definately changed over the last few years.
I effectively tried correct my figure, with a boned bodice, underskirt(to add movement and to increase my hips a little, which were also padded with elbow pads). I re-structured the wig, with foam core so that I didn't tear my scalp again. The plan to use better adhesives so that my hair didn't go mad with the wind did not work that well, mostly due to even windier october weather and waterside photoshoots, which don't go well with very styled wigs.
This time I was more focused on the movie itself, as the first costume was for Kingdom Hearts, not the original, so the colouring is a little different and the dress and hair should look more natural and free-moving.
I made the herculade cup for a bit of fun in photos, and it ended up holding my lipsticks etc, which is super useful. The sash also had a full pouch sewn into it to store my purse and phone.
For anyone who is interested I may be selling this costume, so let me know via pm if you're interested.
|re-make broaches||Low||In Progress|
Wig Trial (Posted 11th October 2011)
Just a quick update to note how the first trial with the wig went, now that I've completely sewn in the foam core and all that's missing is the general re-style, bronze band and the final self-made weft.
Wig Progress (Posted 10th October 2011)
Been working on the re-style for the wig, so today I chiselled the final shape for the foam core, covered it with viscose fabric the same colour as the hair and began to sew wefts across the top.
Hand sewing (Posted 5th October 2011)
So much of this project has to be done by hand it's frustrating, but I hope it'll be worth it by the time I'm done. The entire bodice section has now been completed, along with the new sash (check out that georgious satin compared to the previous incarnation).
yay sewing (Posted 6th September 2011)
Finally got started sewing everything together today, one day behind schedule, and the dress is definately having a anastasia moment before the pleats are all sewn in.
Next gen (Posted 31st August 2011)
Haven't done much that isn't for this costume over the last week, although I still have to wait till monday before I can even get my sewing machine back out and knock it all together (promised my parents they could have a dining room for at least a few weeks).
Starting again (Posted 27th August 2011)
So yeah... this was meant to be a quick fix up and polish but it's ended up being a complete re-make. There are far too many things I saw as being wrong with the costume that all needs re-making, but I don't mind so much as the original costume was just for a fancy dress party.