|Time Taken :||1 month|
|I was very doubtful about doing this to begin with as I wasn't sure about the design and if it would suit me. After wearing it this weekend though I'm so pleased I went ahead with it, the reception I got was just amazing! Everyone was wonderful and so helpful when I was trying to walk around with my wings on!|
The dress itself is a satin backed dupion with silk jersey for the sleeves along with the the underskirt and scarf. It's not lined simply for the fact that even in October it gets hot wearing all the layers and the wings!
The top of the sleeves are slightly puffed and the gold is folded bias to match the rest of the trim.
The detailing on the skirt is all done with craft foam covered in gold lycra. Each side of the golden feathers have around 70 individual feathers separately covered and all held together with impact adhesive. The central design is similarly made but split into a number of different sections as I was working with A5 sized sheets. The centre gem is made from three sections slotted together and covered.
The underbust is a poly cotton drill base for strength with lyca as a top layer. It zips up at the back slightly to the side so it's in line with the pleat zip. The red gem once again is craft foam covered.
The pleats are all individually cut out from buckram and covered in silk jersey and lycra. All of them are glued to the underbust at the top of the folds. The beads are attached to the bias on both the pleats and underbust using wire and crimp beads.
The thinner belt is glued into place on the front and sides with a clasp at the back and the larger belt hooks onto the underbust and pleats twice on both sides.
The headdress is a plastic band base with craft foam on top. The beads are removable just incase they get tangled at all.
The shoulder armour base is from Yo Sushi sealed and sprayed blue with craft foam building up the rest of the design. It's held on with very strong magnets on the base that click together through the shoulders of the dress.
The wings were definitely interesting to make! First came the custom made harness which fits around my waist, underbust and above my bust with shoulder straps. It clips together at the back so everything is hidden. The back of the harness has slots in the back for the wings to fit in with small button hole openings in the back of the dress.
The wings are built up from a steel bar shaping the top half with chicken wire shaping the bottom half and filling it out. Next the wire was covered in wadding on both sides and everything sealed with gaffer tape. Finally working from the bottom the whole thing was covered in white feathers using a stupid amount of hot glue and both were then sprayed into the yellow/pink/purple gradient. The ends of the steel bar are left uncovered so they can slot in easy to the harness.
Plan to make the shoulders much bigger and alter the harness slightly to have another strap at the back. The wings need a little touching up after wearing and being a little battered walking around. Most of all though I want to improve my stage presence and performance as I know that's where I lost points.
Also for those interested, yes it was fire on stage. I used a small flint flash gun that fits on one finger and is loaded with flash cotton which burns at a very low temp very quickly.