|Cost :||150 € so far|
|Time Taken :||3 weeks|
|My current project and my absolute dream cosplay, cause I just LOVE this movie!|
I'm gonna wear it at AniMaCo in Berlin *A* (31.10.10)
There's still a few things I wanna change before I wear it again next year ^^
I wanna emphazise the seam in the middle of the top a bit, cause that's the only seam you can actually see on the artworks and in the movie.
And I wanna try make or find gloves in the colour of the top, because the ones I have now have the colour of the skirt... which is wrong xD
But I didn't have enough time to make my own and was glad to have at least found gloves, that match on of the colours! xD
I changed a few things and got new gloves *___* YAY!
Since people of various English speaking communities have been asking, how I made the dress, I'll try to explain parts of the process xD"
But beware of many mistakes, as I don't know many "sewing words". xD
Sorry for my crappy explanation in advance xD
For the dress I used about 12 metres of light yellow Satin fabric & 12 metres of light yellow Organza fabric for the shoulder part and the skirt and about 1,5 metres of golden-yellow Satin & 1,5 metres of golden Organza for the Top and the sashs (I hope that's the right word).
I also used one zipper (obviously), 1 metre of white cotton fabric, 3 small pearls and 8 bigger pearls.
For every part of the dress I used one layer of Satin and one layer of Organza. I did that because, Satin on it's own is way too shiny and doesn't look as nice... cover it with the matching Organza and it looks great!
For the top I used a very common pattern made of 8 parts. And this is also where the cotton material was used.
I wore a corsett underneath and just sewed a normal top with one layer of cotton (which you can't see), one layer of Satin and one layer of Organza. The cotton was used, because Satin & Organza are very thin fabrics and I needed something to stabilize the top.
Afterwards I sewed the shoulder part (the only part at this point, that I don't really like) onto the top and glued the painted pearls in the middle.
The actually difficult part of the dress was the skirt of course. This was kind of a Try & Error Process as I had think up a way to sew this all on my own.
I was wearing a 5-Hoops-Skirt underneath.
The skirt is made out of 8 parts (each with one layer of Satin & Organza).
I cut out trapezium like shapes with a height of about 2,5 metres and a width of 1/8 of my waist for the top part of the trapezium and a bit more than 1/8 of the last hoop of the petticoat for the bottom part.
(that sounds confusing xD)
I sewed those 8 parts together and sewed the top onto it.
Than I gathered the skirt at each of the eight seams between the trapeziums until the skirt had the right length.
Than I rearranged the "crinkles" until it looked good and fixed the gathering with zigzag stiching.
About the last 10 centimetres I didn't gather up, but left them straight, so that I could properly shorten the hem.
Afterwards all that was left to do were the sashs, which were easy to make.
The gloves were bought on eBay!
Sorry for my crappy explanations, I hope it might be useful to someone XD