|I love the Ace Attorney games. I don't think Machi's exactly one of my favourite characters, but I wanted someone not hugely tall or broad-shouldered and reasonably uncommon to see versions of.|
I didn't realise quite how complicated his top would be to make until I started making it--all those frills and ribbons and lace bits. At this point the trousers and top are both finished (all hand-sewn, because it was too fiddly for machine work). The shoes need to be finished, and I have a wig which I need to style (Edit: or, actually, which Pez is going to do most of the styling on, because she is made of win).
Tool of most use in making this costume: fray-stop glue. Couldn't have made this without it.
Edit: All done! Ready for wearing to the Cosplay Fever Red launch party this week (and Expo the week after). \o/
CF Red Launch Party (Posted 22nd October 2010)
Launch party for the second Cosplay Fever book was yesterday! It was a good trial run for the costume, but more importantly it was fun to go and to chat with everyone there (we left at 7, and it seems like most people arrived after that. Ah well.)
Alas, the Machi wig is now a bit dishevelled and my pendant is wrecked. The plan is to remake the pendant using silver card instead of painted foam (the silver paint just cracked horribly when the foam bent :() and to reshape the wig and then spray that wing section until it is so rock-solid that a heavy wind won't dislodge it.
Hopefully this will make it easier to transport and to remove/replace during the day, because wearing wigs for the whole day makes me grumpy and ill.
Completed! (Posted 20th October 2010)
All done! This will be worn to the Cosplay Fever Red launch party tomorrow.
Pendant 1 (Posted 14th October 2010)
Foam! Covered in glue so I can paint it silver and blue. And the glue is all cracked because it tightens as it dries and so bends inwards. Hmmm.
(Yes, the two pieces are made out of different coloured foam--grey seems a better backing for the silver piece, and white a better backing for the blue.)
Shoes, done (Posted 9th October 2010)
The leather was glued down around the edges of the shoe to make the correct ankle shape. The buckles were just glued on, and then the tongues were inserted and glued into place (with much fiddling to get them to the right height and to match up with each other).
(I didn't realise how dark the first picture was until I'd gotten quite a bit further along, so it looks weird here. Oh well.)
Yay! Finished shoes!
Wig, start (Posted 8th October 2010)
So I needed a shortish blond wig but I also needed enough hair in the same colour to make that hair spiral out of.
Somehow this seemed like a reasonable way to ensure I had both, without having to chop down a very long wig or search for colour-matching extensions. Though I'm going to end up with a leftover ponytail clip that I can't see myself needing any time soon. :P
The base wig needs to be cut down a bit anyway (it's way too long at the back, for a start). It also needs to be set into a zigzag parting. And then, that spiral needs to be created from one of those clip-on ponytails and attached onto the wig.
I'll cut the base wig shorter myself, but Pez is doing the parting and the spiral styling for me.
Shoes 1 (Posted 8th October 2010)
I bought a pair of blue boots on eBay as the base for these. I then hacked off most of the top of the boot--the remaining leather will be folded and glued down (once I get more leather glue tomorrow!).
The buckles are made of craft foam which I sealed with a few layers of PVA glue and then coated with chrome acrylic. It didn't look quite as smooth as I wanted, so I then added a layer of silver rub 'n' buff and then sealed it all with more PVA.
The tongue-flaps are cut from the top of the boots (because that way there's some backing on the reverse) and will be added after the folded-down leather is glued into place and the buckles are attached.
Current status (Posted 8th October 2010)
So I didn't take any progress pictures while making the bulk of this, because I didn't have a CI account. Oh well. Never too late, I guess. :P
The top and trousers are done. SO much blue velvet ribbon was handsewn onto the top--I couldn't find any other ribbon/bias binding in the right colour, but I think the effort was worth it.
The lace around the base of the top is actually cut from net curtain material (the best match I could find for the pattern, and believe me I looked a *lot*.)
The ruffles for the sleeves were cut out of a separate, very long piece of white cotton and then gathered. The edges of the ruffles on both top and trousers are sealed with fray-stop (it is awesome stuff).
The shoes and wig need to be completed (more on that to follow), and the giant pendant needs to be made. But I'm pretty happy with this all so far.