|Time Taken :||3 days|
Recently played Persona 4 and it's now one of my favourite games! I really liked Yosuke's character, he's the comic relief for me. I had thought about making the uniform sometime next year, then my friend bought the jacket from Japan which didn't fit when it arrived...it did fit me (yay girly shoulders) so I just had to make the most of the freebie and get the rest done for Ame :D
This is pretty much a 'how cheap can we go' costume. As I didn't make the jacket I felt I should try something new with the time I would have spent on it, so to save even more money I gave wig dying a go! Kat had an old wig that was the right style but wrong colour, so I just had to pay for the dying alcohol and inks (see journal for details).
Really fun to wear and lots of fun confusing people; my own friends had trouble recognising me in this one.
Also, big thanks to Sephirayne for making the binder I used, it's really good quality and super comfy :)
Finishing Touches (Posted 31st October 2011)
I got Yosuke out again for a Persona meet at the Expo and took the chance to upgrade his trousers. I needed some that would match the polyester jacket fabric and found a pair for a barginous £10 in New Look.
I decided to hand sew the white lines down the leg seams as my machine wouldn't put the defining gap in between each stitch to keep them distinct. Embroidery thread had the best thickness to match the jacket stitching and I used a ball point embroidery needle, which was so much nicer than the usual stabbing my fingers to pieces hand sewing!
At first it was really hard to keep the stitches straight, they always went just that little bit wonky. Then I realised that the stitches will line up along the needle, so the more you thread on in one go, the straighter they'll be. In the photo I've got a needles length of stitches ready to pull through, it made it a lot faster going too.
Glasses (Posted 11th August 2010)
I wasn't sure if I'd do these, but we popped into a TKMax looking for Dez trousers and they happened to have a pair in the right style! The Warhammer paint made a return to completely cover them and do the little rainbow stripes on the side. It scratches off the lenses easily if you go wrong too :D
Around this time Pete pointed out that he wears a red collared t-shirt under the jacket. I'd been blissfully unaware, but I can't let this sort of thing go, so I went out hunting. In the end I bought a white v-neck and fabric painted the collar red.
Dying the Wig (Posted 8th August 2010)
Before starting I covered my wig head in cling-film and got some marigold gloves. This stuff is messy and will colour anything and everything!
I poured one plastic cup of surgical spirit (bog standard pure cheap stuff, don't want added oils or fancies) into a spray bottle and then added my inks to a total of 8 full droppers in the ratio I'd worked out earlier. Then it's just a matter of working through the wig one row of wefts at a time from the bottom to the front. I used 2 cups to completely finish my short wig, but I got the ink slightly different on the second try so the top is lighter than the back...not obvious, but I prefer the back colour.
Leave it to dry. The walkthrough said 8 hours roughly, I left mine 24 hours because I remembered it wrong... as long as it's completely dry it's fine :3 You can brush it through now to get rid of any crispy feel from excess ink.
Then you can wash it with cold/lightly warm water and shampoo (remember hot water is used to change wig styles because it warps the strands, really hot will damage it). No ink will come out as it would when you dye real hair, this is purely done to tone down the smell. Once it's dry brush it again and enjoy :D
The people in the walkthrough don't seem to have trouble with the dye rubbing off on clothes, mine did a little on the jacket collar, but it wasn't much and it washed off afterwards with stain remover.
Inks (Posted 6th August 2010)
Because I felt like a massive cheat not having made the clothes I thought this was the perfect time to try something new with the extra time.
Rather than buying a new wig, Kat had a blonde one in Yosuke's style that was going free, so I read up on wig dying!
I stuck to the original posters method pretty closely, but took the replies into account. Type of ink, quality of wig and original colour of wig are the factors which will affect the final result, so I stuck with the FW ink brand they used to keep the odds good. Cass Art seem to think the best place for tiny similar bottles is the bottom shelf in a dark corner, so after a long time practically laid on the shop floor I came away with two browns and an orange to mix.
You get way more ink than you use in these bottles, so I spent some time mixing up my three colours in a glass to find a good ratio before trying the real thing. I watered it down to check the final colour (remember it'll be much darker as neat ink).
Headphones (Posted 4th August 2010)
After talking to lots of people and doing some internet hunting, I found the most similar headphones I could get would be Philips SHP 2500. Staked out eBay for a bit and got mine for a tenner!
I stole Jonny's Warhammer paints to mod the headphones because they're so good for painting plastic :3