|Awards :||3rd place at Collectormaina 7 (Not bad considering I didn't plan to enter right up until the comp was annouced).|
|Time Taken :||Four months|
|First worn at Collectormaina 7 in Milton Keynes. |
One of my favorite cosplays to wear as it was so confortable.
The easiets part was the waistcoat. I have, over the years made so many waistcoats that its come second nature.
The hardest part was the snake headed cane (named 'Selena'). It was my first time building a prop completely from scratch. I had dead hands from sanding for three hours to get the head just right.
The best reaction I've recieved from this cosplay was from the actor Tom Felton (who plays Draco). He loved the effort I had made and thought I looked the part.
Cane Progress Archive Photos (pt 4) (Posted 12th January 2011)
Both parts were then painted with acrylics and then sealed with car spray varnish.
The cane/wand build took about 5 days from start to finish and cost £5 in materials.
Then about two months later Noble Collection release the offical prop replica grrr!!! Oh well, I still have mine and I use her to this day (she even has a name, Selena).
Cane Progress Archive Photos (pt 3) (Posted 12th January 2011)
More sanding. Took six hours in total to sand as I wanted the head to be as smooth as possible.
Cane Progress Archive Photos (pt 2) (Posted 11th January 2011)
The two rows of studs are cut up pieces of drinking straws filled with Miliputt.
Cane Progress Archive Photos (pt 1) (Posted 4th January 2011)
In sorting out some discs I've found I came across some of the original photos of the cane being made back in 2004. I thought I would add them to this costume profile so that you can see how I built it from scratch.
The head piece was made by cutting a piece of wood dowelling. Then it was drilled into. The wand piece was then glued into the drill hole. The wand had been whittled from an old arrow. Once that was dry I then began adding Miliputt to create the snake head. Small beads were added to create the eyes. Two swords from my Games Workshop figure collection were used for teeth. Once I was happy with the base shape I then hand shaded for about six hours (yikes!) to get a really smooth shape.
Photography isn't great as I had a very old camera at the time.
Shiny New Waistcoat (Posted 9th June 2009)
Sadly, as much as I loved the old one I had to replace it. The fabric I had chosen which although very beautiful was very fragile. It needed replacing. Also I had lost so much weight that it was hanging off me wrong.
Found a rather nice chinese print duchess satin. I hand painted the dragon design to its orginal gold to the blood red. I then lined it with lining. It fits me well and I loved how its turned out. Shame that I'm now going to jhave to shrink the rest of the costume.