|I had a stupid amount of trouble with this costume. I figured I'd buy some red material, and gradient dye it black to get the effect that Nouhime has on her costume. Easy enough, right?|
I'd researched dylon before, and found out it works well on polycotton, as long as it's about a 60% poly - 40% cotton blend.
Well, apparently the stuff I bought wasn't, as no matter what I did, the dye didn't take. Tab on the forums helpfully told me that acrylic inks would work well, but then I couldn't find anywhere that sold them for less than £5 for one small bottle, and (as i'd left the advice gathering so late) he never got back to me about diluting them. I didn't have enough time to buy more material, as I took so long making my mind up about what costumes to do, and I'd have to wait for the material to be delivered. The local shops had pure cotton for £5/m, and I needed 5 metres. Far too broke for that -_-
Luckily, 5 days before the con, my friend emily told me she could give me some white cotton drill. Not perfect, but it would have to do.
So I set about dying the material red, then black, and the finish i got was alright. It wasn't as good as i'd have liked, and I may remake this costume if I ever wear it again. The wig was a bit too small too, so my hair shows in a few pictures, but people were generally pretty complimentary of it when I kept thinking it looked AWFUL.
I enjoyed dying this material, to be honest. It was a challenge I was excited to face, but by the fifth attempt of changing something about the dye, I just wanted it to all go away. But now I know not to cheap out in the first place. If i'd just bought pure cotton in the first place, things would have been so much easier. I think i'll be going to better quality material over keeping the expense down next time around.
|Hair flowers||Medium||In Progress|
|Pompom & Tassel for obi||Medium||Planned|