|Cost :||about £80|
|Time Taken :||3 months of spare time|
|I had to learn to sew to make this costume. It was entirely hadstitched as I didn't have a sewing machine at the time. I chose this costume as I knew it was popular and so the internet would be able to help me. |
Headband: Made from blue stretch cotton. The two front braids and the two back braids were sewn into it.
Wig: A short base wig put into a ponytail, a ponytail extension and a full head of hair extensions for the braids. Beads were made from salt dough and painted.
Earrings: Feathers were found and dyed and attached to clip on earrings.
Sleeves: Shear, off-white fabric. Each bow was individually made and attached. Elastic was sewn into the top of the sleeves to keep them in place.
Top: Yellow stretch cotton was sewn onto triangular bikini cups. Orange ribbon was then sewn around the rim. The two cups were connected by installing eyelets and threading through with leather lacing. I used black webbing for the halterneck strap and bought buckles with metal teeth to attach it to the bikini cupos.
Belt: Made from yellow pleather and a buckle harvested from a belt found at a charity shop. it took a while to find the right buckle. Two pleather strips had to be sewn wrong side together first before inverting the tube and topstitching. The belt was then cut at the appropriate place and rejoined with studs and more topstitching. If I remade this I would reinforce the middle of the belt either with another belt or interfacing so that the pouches could bear more weight.
Pouches: yellow pleather. Once again the pleather pieces had to be sewn together wrong side to wrong side before inverting and topstitching the patttern into a pouch. Eyelets were inserted into the flaps and more orange leather lace attached for decoration and threaded through. The pouches were held closed by poppers.
Skirt: The fabric was recycled from an old nighty of my mothers doubled over for thickness. The fabric was already stretchy and therefore straight forward to make into a skirt. Eyelets were punched into the front and the same leather lace threaded through as for the top. The darts at the front are decorative.
Thong: A thong with white rim was dyed. I also dyed a larger set of underwear to wear over the thong under the skirt for modesty.
Boots: They began as white boots bought on ebay. A triangle at the front was cut out and sewn back in as a faux tongue. The boots were then painted with acrylics, eyelets were installed up the back and yellow laces threaded through, which had been dyed for the purpose.
Scarf: I had to learn to knit for this one. Hand knitted using a knit stitch on white cotton. Instead of knitting on the round I made the scarf double width, folded it in half and sewed a seam. The tassels are plaits of cotton thread which were then frayed at the ends one thread at a time; exactly nine tassels per end. The scarf was then gradient dyed with Rit dye and a spray bottle.
Blades: Paper mache