|Cost :||£53.80 so far|
|Time Taken :||~24-26 hours (excluding shopping time!)|
|The most expensive part of this is the bullet belt, which cost just over £25! |
The holster belt was the cheapest part, followed by the fabrics.
Luckily I already had most of the buttons needed, and a suitable tie, gloves and shoes. As for the hat, I customised one I already had which appeared to be the right shape. Didn't need to buy fabric for this since I had some left over from last year.
My two main nightmares with this costume were
1) Managing to rip the shirt whilst opening buttonholes. Lesson learnt: hemming tape is amazing; use scissors regardless of what sewing machine manual says
2) Sewing machine messing up and stitching really loosely. Lesson learnt: ignore what the manual says and just change the needle.
(Overall, the lesson learnt from this seems to be 'don't trust the manual' doesn't it!)
Making the basic jacket wasn't too time-consuming; it was making everything to put onto it that took time! I had to make each strap individually. I did this by cutting strips of vinyl twice the width I wanted, then gluing down the middle and folding it over (so the strap would be flatter at the finish) and leaving it to dry. Then I sewed the edge and voila!
The straps on the cuffs were also time-consuming, since I had to not only make them, but hand-sew loops onto the sleeves to thread them through!
The hat was the easiest part, even though it did take ages to hand-sew the edges of the fabric I used! The skirt was probably second-easiest, though it ended up being a little too big and kept riding up all day. Oo-er! Also the skirt and the holster belt kept sliding around on my hips. The straps on the legs kept falling down too; not sure what I could have done about that short of gluing them to myself!
|Make jacket pattern||High||Complete|
|Buy bullet belt||High||Complete|
|Make leg straps||Medium||Complete|
|Buy toy gun||Low||Complete|
Hats Off to Hoarding (Posted 1st July 2010)
After wondering how to make the hat...I found a suitable one amidst the myriad of hats that live in my closet. Hurrah! Always knew that hanging onto stuff would come in useful!
The most obvious (Posted 24th June 2010)
After struggling with my evil sewing machine (which was stitching loosely) and none of the troubleshooting suggestions working...the needle snapped. I replaced it, and lo and behold, it's sewing fine! What...????
Thanks to it working again, I finished the jacket today, hooray! I added the buttons on the epaulettes, and the straps at the top and bottoms of the sleeves. The straps on the cuffs all had to be sewn on by hand, which was fiddly.
Catastrophe! (Posted 20th June 2010)
Hemmed jacket today and added sleeves and button holes...
No way in hell I'm redoing it all though--I don't have the time or the money. T_T I'll repair it as best I can, though hopefully the damage will be hidden behind the tie.
I really can't believe I did it!
Also managed to break a button, serves me right for being lazy and trying to use that function on the sewing machine D=
Sewing machine of doom (Posted 19th June 2010)
Slacked off a lot on this costume up until now, but today I spent another 4-5 hours working on it! I began the jacket; what I have so far lacks sleeves or buttons or anything other than a collar!
Progress babbling (Posted 9th June 2010)
Really got started on this costume today! (I don't really count buying things as starting.)
With some of the accessories for this costume I've had a bit of luck--I have a suitable tie that came with the tie I bought for a previous cosplay, the gloves are from a previous cosplay, and the shoes I'll wear are a pair I've had for years (which again, I used for a previous cosplay!)
Am busy for the next few days, but hopefully I can get the jacket started at the weekend!