Tagged Gallery Images
Up to five images tagged in the galleries will be shown above.
|Awards :||Best Performance - London MCM Expo, May 2010 (Sunday)|
|Before I even played Tekken 6, I laid eyes on Zafina's alt costume and immediately wanted to make the dress! When I did eventually play the game I discovered that not only was Zafina absolutely batshit insane (always an endearing feature!), I was also pretty good with her, all of which only cemented my desire to cosplay as her! Frains suggested a Tekken 6 group as he was keen to cosplay as King, and it all went from there. Not many people seem to have done Zafina's red dress, but I was most drawn to it because her other two main costumes show off way too much midriff for my liking.|
The dress was mostly made using McCall's pattern M4369, the same Chinese dress pattern I used to make Chun Li and Ginrei, but heavily modified. I made the main bit of the dress as normal in the red fabric, then put it on and marked how far I needed to take the shoulders in and where the scoop of the neckline needed to go. The black bit was then made in the same way (but only from just below the armholes up), and the collar part was taken from a Kwik-Sew pattern 3289 as it needed to be a turtleneck rather than a mandarin collar. The bias tape was fiddly as ever, especially in the strips that run over my hips - they had to be done while I was wearing the dress, with a careful friend sticking pins in me while I stood in front of the bathroom mirror! I think it looks great though. The snakes were made with Heat n Bond.
The stockings are easily my favourite bit of the costume. I had initially thought the pattern on Zafina's stockings was roses and went looking for something similar online, but when nothing showed up I had another look and saw they were really more like horses' heads with cloudy swirls around them. I made a stencil of the shape and bought some thick black holdups, then put on a pair of old tights, put the holdups on top and painted the swirls onto my legs using acrylic paint, with much assistance from my friend Clare (during this process we came to know the swirls as "scorpionies" as they seemed to be half pony, half scorpion!).
There are little fixes I want to make: the gloves aren't entirely accurate as my attempt to make some myself failed miserably and I just darted off to Camden the day before I was due to wear the costume and bought a pair that were the right colour and style! The diamante strings wouldn't stay attached to the shoes, so I'll have to have another look at them and see if there's a better way of securing them. And while I'm happy with the wig given that it was a rush job, done in all of about an hour before I packed off to London, I did worry throughout the day that it was coming off my head so I may have another crack at styling it.
The performance was lots of fun too, although I was a bit nervous about fighting on stage as I only got half a day's notice of what we were doing and it's been a while since I've done any martial arts! I hear it all looked good in the end though :D