|Time Taken :||7 hours|
|This had to be done! XD Another version of Rinoa for my collection heehee.|
Dead Fantasy- Gee (music video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcK7Y9VSs5M
This time Monty Oum has Rinoa in her SeeD Ball dress with the usual minor differences in design. I should be able to make this using the pattern from my regular Rinoa dress but the fabric will be white instead of cream, the halter-neck ribbon a silvery colour and the bottom hem looks slightly wavy also. Her shoes are similar to the original design but in white.
~Please see my journals for more details on the construction of this costume as well as progress photos~
The dress was hand-made by myself using a shimmery white lycra material and ribbons for the halter neck and bottom hem.
The shoes I already owned.
I used the same wig, contacts and make-up as my regular Rinoa costumes.
I also have a pair of chibi wings for con parties.
Wore this the Saturday evening of Ayacon 2011. Had a photo shoot with Manga Girl and did some filming for the next Cosplay Fever music video which I made the cut for! I'm in 3 clips, see if you can spot me =p
Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGrOUlmNl10
The costume was comfy to wear and I managed to dance in it without flashing my underwear to everyone lol I still need to learn the dance to "Gee" though.
|Chibi wings (for con parties)||Low||Complete|
|Learn the "Gee" dance||Low||Planned|
|1 metre of white shimmery stretch fabric||£7.99||Bought|
|1 metre of sheer white ribbon||£1.32||Bought|
|1 metre of silver ribbon||£1.20||Bought|
Complete! (Posted 14th August 2011)
She's all done whoop! I haven't got the contacts in or any make-up on in the photo so excuse that lol
I've been wearing it for at least an hour around the house and it's pretty comfortable, it just rides up a bit at times. I love how the fabric feels and that it's all shimmery =3
Chibi wings! (Posted 14th August 2011)
Thought these would be good to use for con parties and places where there isn't space for a mahoosive pair.
Hem detail (Posted 14th August 2011)
Yeah it's not very neat I'm afraid and I think it looks better at the back as the waves are more widely spaced. Did I mention I'm terrible at getting anything even? lol I used clear nail varnish on the cut sections to stop the ribbon from fraying. This may mean the hem scratches my thighs a bit but I couldn't see another way around it as I can't over lock the ribbon.
Ribbon added to bottom hem (Posted 14th August 2011)
Sheer ribbon was added to the bottom hem using a straight stitch but again with low tension. I didn't do a complete overlay of the dress like the original as in the Gee video it's not very clear the dress is two layers so thought it would be easier to just use a ribbon instead. The ribbon wasn't quite wide enough sadly but oh well.
I'm so pleased that even after adding the two ribbons I can still manage to slip this dress over my head, no zip required! Whoop!
Hem raised and halter neck added (Posted 14th August 2011)
Raised the hem to a more appropriate length (gotta be careful that my butt stays covered ^^')stitched it in place, removed the excess material and over locked the seam.
Pinned the ribbon into place and tried on the dress to make sure it looked ok before carefully sewing it on. I originally wanted to use a silver metallic thread I had however I soon learnt this type is thread isn't really made for use with sewing machines... So I unpicked the small bit I had done and started again with a grey thread.
Dress- main part complete (Posted 7th August 2011)
Sewed the dress pieces together on my machine using a zig-zag stitch with low tension due to the stretchy material. I cut away some of the excess fabric due to my generous seam allowance and then overlocked the seams.
It doesn't look the best shape laid flat and you can see the right side isn't shaped right (I'm clearly rubbish at getting anything even) but I'm not too bothered about it as the fabric clings to my curves any way, hence why I went with the dodgy pattern making as was mainly relying on the fabric to do the work. I'm pleased I can get this on just by pulling it over my head, no zips or buttons required.
The bottom hem needs to raised to the right length before adding the sheer ribbon and the silver halter neck needs to be done also.
Dress- pieces cut (Posted 6th August 2011)
I only had one metre of fabric but it was still enough to enable me to double layer both sides of the dress (hence all the pins in the photo, two pieces are being held together). This gives the dress a nice weight, makes it feel sturdier and removes any see-through-ness so I don't have to line it or wear a slip or something underneath.
Dress- making the pattern (Posted 6th August 2011)
As you can tell from the photo I pretty much cut around my original ball dress for Rinoa as a mock pattern for this, I just made sure I considered the seam allowance. I honestly don't recommend doing this for costume making in general as it can be inaccurate and the lines sloppy. I can't cut in a straight line as it is...
Oh and in case you're wondering I do still have the pattern used for my original dress but due to the weird American sizing it had to be taken in a lot so I couldn't be bothered with that again. Plus I'm skipping out on some of the seams and darts.