|Cost :||about £40|
|Time Taken :||around 30 hours so far|
|Loved the film so I started off with the basic Arc Reactor wearing Tony Stark. |
The arc reactor is completely built from scratch.
The base is balsawood with a parallel circuit attached directly to it, feeding out the back. The surface mounted (SMD) LEDs are powered using a 3V coin battery which is incorporated in to the back of the reactor so its a single stand alone unit without any external wiring.
The diffuser ring is made of polymorph, while most of the other pieces are made from card cut out using a scalpel. The copper wiring finished it off.
May progress to a partial ironman suit for another event at some point,and perhaps do some minor touch ups too.
Arc reactor cost around £10 to construct, while the facial hair turned out to be the most expensive bit at £30.
Arc update 2 (Posted 5th December 2010)
Found out I could keep the arc reactor in place with just a small bit of fishing wire, so it was almost invisible. Since the battery was in the back of the unit there were no wires coming out that I had to hide.
Ran for over 5 hours on a simple 3V coin battery and didn't look like it was going to run out any time soon, result. I shall make the final cosmetic updates and then it will be finally complete. May consider moving on to making the arm section of the suit.
completed (Posted 18th November 2010)
Well I focused on completing this over the last couple of day and it is finally done. Now I have just to figure out how to keep it attached.
In the begining (Posted 6th April 2010)
After much thought I have decided to go for a custom build for the arc reactor rather than attemtping to modify an existing lighting unit. This required a crash course in electronics and wiring.
To create the diffuser ring, I creating a mould out of balsa wood, sanded it smooth and pressed the heated polymorph in the the ring.
The angled pieces are three pieces of card folded and glued together to give the correct shape. This bit was very fiddly since the pieces are really small and need to be slotted together to give the final shape.
I then wrapped copper wire around each piece.