|Time Taken :||Psssshhh......... about 10 hours over all?|
|This is Toadette from Mario! I'll be wearing this to MCM Expo in May.|
UPDATE:18/05/08: 2 days till my birthday!!!
Finished the new boot covers!!! Toadette is officially complete!!
So i decided to cosplay as toadette while i was playing mario party 8. she's a super cute character and i like to take the road less travelled and as there was always the possibility of a peach going i decided that not enough people (if any) had cosplayed toadette and i should add my name to the short list.
the decision was made about december time and i didn't start cutting out the dress pattern until feburary. >3< i hate cutting out patterns it's boring and slow.
Dress: Dress was made using a really simple pattern bought from my fabric shop. i originally bought it as a different shape as the dress pattern i have used for my last 3 cosplays is getting tatty but also i needed it to fit better as i have lost weight since i cut the other pattern.
i used the skirt part as normal but modifyed the top part to have straps and darts and also a back as the top was originally strapless.
unfortunately for the pattern my dog ate it, luckily it was after i had copied it onto a flat pattern and made it neater so the practise one was ok to chew up.
i put the top together using bright pink polycotton-y stuff (i dunno it was like £2.6something a metre)and also cut the skirt out but then decided it was far far too long and would look out of proportion so decided to shorten it. unfortunately for me i cut it slightly too short but it's so because it's cute!
i had made a petticoat for a previous cosplay and just modifyed that to the right length and added another poofy layer.
Waist Coat:once again this was a modifyed pattern i cut out the pattern and cut it to shape by judging where it sat on my body and lining that up with the mannequin. very easy.
the trim took a little longer to sort out as at first it was just a piece of regular fabric. i cut 2 strips of the fabric and sewed 2 of the ends together to make one long ribbon. then i hemmwed one edge of that ribbon to make my life easier later on. then i sewed it right side to right side all the way around before turning it over and sewing it flat. after this it was twisted but then i ironed it and it flattened out perfectly.
the hat was a bit of trial and error.
it cost me pretty much nothing apart from the paint so that was awesome!
We alreayd had chicken wire in the garage and just used a basket i thought was the right shape to bend the wire around in the basic shape.
then i stuffed it with newspaper and scratched my arms to pieces whilst doing so. i then cut out another bit of wire and molded it around my head to the right size and inserted that into the head hole in the hat to make a cradle for my head to sit in. this made it 20 times comfier than if i had just left it.
but this time, i was putting it on and taking it of alot to fit it right and to fold in any cratchy edges and my family were in stitches. not the confidence boost i needed.
after a few days of getting on with course work to keep mother happy i went and bought some wadding which was like... i dunno not alot. and mum helped me form it around the outside of the hat and cut and pin the darts that the fabric made to make it smoother. this was all the wadding was for... smoothness. i was going to cover this again in the dress fabric however i hated the look of all those folds and then began the long process of glueing newspaper strips onto the wadding and letting it dry. i though this would give me some toughness but it kept ripping so out came the wall paper paste.
i mixed the wallpaper paste together and used 2 toilet rolls to make papier mache. this took alot of mashing and it didn't help my gloves kept falling off. however i id it and proceeded to putting a layer onto the bottom 2 of the hairballs and then onto the top of the hat. i was going to do the whole of the hat in pspier mache but it was a silly idea as the stuff is pretty heavy even when dry.
when that was dry i covered the hair balls in 2 more layers but with the hat i glued more newspaper strips all over and let it dry and then a layer of PVA for safe measure. then came the paint!
yay paint! finally. not like it took long enough! so i covered the whole hat in 2 coats of this paint before letting it dry and painting on the spots. the white also took 2 coats but it was a reward to have it done.
With the hair balls i covered the bottom ones with 4 layers of PVA to smooth them out and painted the other 4 with 3 coats of paint.
the bottom hair balls are on their 2nd coat on the other 4 on their third.
Boot covers: So at first the boot covers i made were disgusting so i remade them. i took a rectangle of chicken wire and folded it around the platforms/boots i'm wearing and bent it so it would stay and the cut off the excess with wire cutters. then i got my calico from the washing line (after having soaked it all in stupidly strong coffee for hours on end while playing Pdin Sphere) and my hot glue gun fired up and spent about an hour glueing the calico to the chicken wire frames. it was really easy although pretty fiddly and i burnt myself a couple times.
although the boot covers are wrinkly (shoulda ironed them!) and different sizes i am much happier with them then the first ones and i'm really excited about wearing it all.
decided to keep the pink part of my fringe down during expo so my forehead isn't so exposed but the rest wil be tied, pinned and hair sprayed back to hide under the hat. ^^
i look forward to doing Caramelldansen in this cosplay and also being recognised as muh as last year!