Shiro Hana
 


Costume :Articuno
Variant :Gijinka
Source :Pokemon
Progress :In Progress
Worn At :Amecon 2012


Costume Photos

Painting WIP

Mockimono

Reference / Inspiration

Reference / Inspiration

Reference / Inspiration

Reference A / Inspiration

 


Costume Information

General
Cost : see shopping list.
Time Taken : 30+ (research); 8 (progress so far).

Description
Japanese in design as I have a design plan for each of the 3 Kanto birds to be an Oriental country. Main costume body is going to be a kimono pattern that I will adapt slightly to (I feel) better suit Articuno - e.g the long, swinging sleeves of the furisode as being its wings.

Edit 25/07 - Have everything but final lining: buying tomorrow.
Edit 26/07 - Bought final lining: asking about techniques and dyeing fabrics tomorrow.
Edit 01/08 - Kimono and lining fabrics both dyed and ironed/pressed successfully: -> cutting and painting next.
Edit 05/08 - Fabric trimmed to where it needs to be and painting well underway.

Research bibliography

Collections (Far East/Japan) - V and A Museum, London.
Japanese Costume: History and Tradition - Alan Kennedy.
Kimono - Wikipedia.


Search terms (kana and kanji given since results vary in Japanese). If you do happen to use these for things, would you be so kind as to let me know please? :-).

Heian Era (平安時代・へいあんじだい) | Kimono (着物・きもの) | Furisode (振袖; 振りそで・ふりそで)
Junihitoe (十二単衣・じゅうにひとえ) | Kanzashi (簪; 髪挿・かんざし) | Nagajuban (長襦袢・ながじゅばん)
Geta (下駄・げた) | Nobori (幟・のぼり) | Kyudo (弓道・きゅうどう)

Comments

Avatar Image

one of my faves ^_^

by FairyPorchQueen on Wednesday, 6 January, 2010 - 18:00
Avatar Image

this will be amazing.

by kaasutii on Tuesday, 5 October, 2010 - 12:27
Avatar Image

This is gonna look awesome! ^__^

by k4tt on Wednesday, 1 August, 2012 - 20:51
 

To-Do List

Finish sketchingHighIn Progress
Mockups where necessaryHighIn Progress
Banner - sampleHighIn Progress
Kimono body - test fabricMediumComplete
Props - testMediumIn Progress
Obi / banner support - testMediumIn Progress
Banner - finalLowPlanned
Kimono body - finalLowPlanned
Get geta or other footwearLowPlanned
Obi / banner support - finalLowPlanned
Props - finalLowPlanned

Shopping List

Pattern£5.65Bought
Fabric paints (gross)£26.46Bought
Kimono fabric (test)£8.75Bought
Banner fabric - so far£17.94Bought
Kimono fabric£45.00Bought
Banner fabric£13.00Bought
Kimono lining£41.93Bought
Total£158.73

Journal

Painting Day 2 of 2. (Posted 7th August 2012)

Progress goes here.

Painting Day 1 of 2. (Posted 6th August 2012)

Progress goes here.

Reserved Journal Entry #2 (Posted 5th August 2012)

Painting underway and not a moment too soon! The current aim is to go with a motif or theme on the front and back of both the kimono sleeves and decorate the edges with similar: time permitting, I will perhaps throw in some decorative stitches - e.g. rows of wavy lines to represent water and so on.

A Long Time Coming.... (Posted 26th July 2012)

Just over 2 weeks to go and I finally (?) got everything I needed to make this: well the basics at any rate (not shown in this picture is the wig that I bought from CosCraft [Kate in Blue] and the Dylon fabric dyes that I'll be using).

Since I have no experience, I thought I could try and make up for lack of technical skill with colours :-P. Most of those threads and fabric paints you can see will likely not be used but bought them at the time as I thought they would fit in well in my design - I will put this in a later journal entry.

I have settled pretty much on Dylon's Ocean Blue hand dye for the outer fabric and China Blue for the kimono lining: Bahama Blue looked good at first but on a closer look, felt too green/turquoise-y for my liking. I suppose I could have tried looking for fabrics that were already pre-coloured to a suitable shade of blue but at least when I've looked, there wasn't any in *quite* the shades I was after, hence the dyeing.

Fabric: under the assorted threads and paints is a 2m pile of a wide Calico fabric. This will be used for the one or more flags-come-banners that I hope to have attached to my back: perhaps put some interfacing/buckram or similar to stiffen it a bit. Above it (almost shiny white) is a lining of largely a cotton sateen which will be used for the kimono lining. Below right is a larger pile of the same calico fabric which I will use as the main kimono fabric.

Barely visible to the left in blue is the mock-up I did of the pattern I'm using [Simplicity 4080].

I went with the calico fabric finally as when I took some small dyed samples to one of the couture-tutors at my local sewing shop, she remarked how well it took the dye and said that it would be indeed suitable as the main kimono fabric: good enough for me!

Apologies for darkness in the bottom of the picture - wanted to see what I had together in one place.