|Utility Belt||High||In Progress|
|Boots and Gauntlets (with armour plates)||High||In Progress|
|Cape (Bob Kieffer)||High||In Progress|
|Collapsable Batarang||Medium||In Progress|
|Grapple Gun and Cryptographic Sequencer||Medium||In Progress|
|Custom Cape (courtesy of the amazing Bob Kieffer)||£110.00||Bought|
|Urethane Cowl (Batprisss)||£125.00||Bought|
|Gloves and Shoes||£30.00||Bought|
Resin Accessories (Posted 19th January 2012)
So I've been in talks with a propmaker, and we're gonna be doing a trade. In this trade, I'd be getting a grapple gun and a cryptographic sequencer, made 1:1 scale in resin, based on the 3D models from the games! Honestly, can't wait, it's gonna be awesome. I've always believed that props make the costume. And now I'll have 2 new ones to play with, alongside my batarangs. :)
Utility Belt - Building In Foam (Posted 9th January 2012)
I came to the conclusion after much deliberation that my utility belt for Batman would have to be entirely homemade. There IS and Arkham Asylum belt out there, but I gave my self the dumb challenge of doing Arkham City! :P
To help me get that flat geometric look to the sculpt, I'm actually making the original pieces out of sheet foam, which I'll cast up in plaster or something, and pour latex into after to make the final pieces that'll go on the belt. Pictured left is the foam prototype for the buckle. It's ALMOST identical to the Arkham Asylum one, but with a few minor changes.
The pouches will be made the same way, but will hopefully be practical working pouches with velcro closures.
Pondering Cape Fabrics (Posted 4th January 2012)
So I thought about using a type of leatherette for the cape, but that will likely be way too heavy, killing my neck and shoulders after a single day's wear. I've also considered cloth fabrics, but they may look too soft and plain against the print of the suit and texture of the cowl.
Then I remembered I've got this black waterproof woven material in the garage, kept from years ago. It has the feel of a vinyl or leatherette, but it's got this fantastic woven texture to it, like little I've seen before. Can't even remember where I got it, but I remember thinking I might have use for it in the future. If it's got the right weight and flow to it, it could work REALLY well for my Arkham City cape!
Decisions decisions.... (Posted 16th August 2011)
After some time looking over the screengrabs, I've chosen to go with a more accurate attempt at the new Arkham City suit, instead of just using the reference I have from Arkham Asylum to build the suit. The cowl has remained the same, but there are a number of subtle differences between the games that I'll be working at replicating. Almost all the armoured sections have changed in one way or another, so it'll be an interesting exercise to make them myself.
The Cowl (Posted 17th July 2011)
After looking at 3 other mask makers' Arkham style cowls, and deciding none of them are particularly what I'm looking for, I've decided to sculpt my own cowl over my plaster lifecast. Hopefully this will result in a nice looking and perfectly fitted latex cowl. And if it gets damaged, I should be able to simply pour myself a new one!
In the next few months, I'm hoping to sort myself out with a small studio space, where I can sew, sculpt and work on all sorts of projects. The Arkham cowl will be one of the first things I work on in this space, as well as the belt and other pieces. I've already started collecting a vast range of reference material, both from promo material and from the character trophy in the game that you can spin around and examine. And I'll hopefully have it all ready for Kapow con next year! :)