Tagged Gallery Images
Up to five images tagged in the galleries will be shown above.
|Awards :||There May Not Be Enough Prizes Award at MinamiCon 2008|
|Time Taken :||20 hours?|
|This all began at MinamiCon in 2007, when Ninodog inflicted his Wild Arms artbook on us all, and ended with an impressive group at MinamiCon 2008. It was suggested I should be Rebecca, and after my initial reaction of "eeeeew, pink!" I somehow decided I liked it! |
It was an interesting costume to make since I had all the references I could ask for, and unusually, every seam and line of stitching was drawn. It was good to have a realistic clothing design to go by for logical construction, but was also bad for going insane over ever little detail. I even know what her socks look like, although they'd never be visible with the boots on! (yes I fail, I didn't make the socks...)
The lilac fabric I already had, although it's not as thick for the effect I'd like (I think denim might have been good) but I went ahead anyway. The shorts have functioning pockets and are constructed as closely to the references as I could manage, although a bit longer out of preference. I love the lace I found! The top began as a cheap Primark t-shirt, and I made the zig-zaggy cuffs and collar using the same lilac fabric, but interfaced. The white triangles are appliquéd on. I put in studs which I'd painted gold at the neckline and on the collar. The ones down the front are functioning snaps - since I used non-stretch fabric for the collar, it would no longer fit over my head, so I needed the front closure. Yellow bows are polycotton, and the one at my neck fastens at the back so I can leave it tied neatly rather than redoing it every time I put on the costume.
Next was the large quantities of PINK. I decided on vinyl because it would make the cut out designs on the boots easier, and suit boot construction in general. It's also great for the belt and pouches, suitable for gloves, and ok for the waistcoat too, so seemed the best overall compromise for everything. I got a matte-ish vinyl which hopefully minimises the downsides in the fabric's appearance. It may have been convenient for some aspects of construction due to its stiffness and non-fraying-ness, but still awkward to sew in general! I invested in a teflon sewing machine foot for this, which was definitely worthwhile for all the topstitching I did.
The waistcoat is a little loose, but alright. The pocket/pouch things on the front (what the hell are they?) are padded out with craft foam, white designs are leatherette appliquéd on, and the strap at the back has a gold buckle stolen from a kilt strap, gold grommets and studs (you can tell I made this at the same time as my Karin costume since I used the same studs on both!)
The belt pouches are functional, fully lined, and snap closed. The hearts came from a cheap bracelet (from Tescos!) and were painted with nail polish. I'm really happy with the construction of the pouches, and they're very useful to have as well!
The boots luckily are black at the bottom, so I started with a cheap pair of black cowboy boots from ebay. I then painted the visible parts of the soles green, made the leg section in pink vinyl, and glued it on. Since it's meant to slouch a bit, then it was an easy cover to make, but I decided I didn't want it to be too loose for accuracy, since it looked so silly. So my boots fit closer to my legs, which meant bunching up the flower designs a bit, but I do prefer the effect. Before sewing up the covers, I appliquéd the green and white designs, which took forever cutting out all the green petal shapes. I preferred doing it that way though, since painting on costumes always makes me nervous and I wasn't sure what paints would work on vinyl.
The gloves were a pain. I hate making gloves, and this was my first attempt with a non-stretch fabric, so after patterning them out, I initially did a mock-up in spare leatherette. It still took a couple of tries with the actual vinyl though, and it was made more difficult by how awkward it was to turn the fingers inside out while I was working on them! They came out alright in the end, even if they're far from perfect, I was just glad to have some sort of gloves. The buckles and straps are the same as the one on the waistcoat and again the white designs applied the same way. I do wonder why I bothered to make them from scratch since they just remind me of pink washing-up gloves XP
The wig is from Professional Onlyon ebay, which allowed me to buy a very long wig cheaply. The wig was fairly thin, so when I cut the short pieces at the front, I saved the spare hair and added it to the backpart. The rest of the parting is zig-zagged to hide the mesh. At least with low braids I didn't have much to worry about, but adding in the spare fibre was still worthwhile. The spiky pieces at the front were irritating, I couldn't get them to look right at all when I tried spiking them, so instead I just made them as flicky-out curls, styled with a hairdryer and a bit of hairspray. Finally, I got a plastic gun in a £1 shop at the last minute, and painted the orange bits.