|Time Taken :||2 weeks|
|In keeping with the 'Enchanted Forest' theme, I made a full length ballgown for the Cosplay Ball. I almost went back to an old costume, but 2 weeks before the ball I saw the olive green fabric and got hooked on the idea again. |
I decided the colour scheme of green/gold/red-brown, but that was pretty much all I stuck to; the design evolved as I went, finding new fabrics and bits (like pinecones!). I should have used a non-stretchy fabric for the gathered part of the bodice, but the colour was just too perfect to lose and I really overspent on this one, the amount of bits I picked up because they fitted the feel, but then didn't have a place to go.
A lot of people thought I looked like an original Dawn design and Jessica Rabbit was mentioned...I'm now thinking I may dye my hair red, I love the wig so much.
The pattern was an arse to adjust and I think from now on I'll be cutting a couple of sizes smaller than the instructions sugest (they're all lies).
Finito (Posted 3rd December 2009)
Finishing touches time! Well, take a day off work to get the thing done time XD
I found a lovely matching sparkly rose in the market, so I used that rather than the fabric flowers in the dress pattern. Using the same beads as the tiara I made some bead strings to dangle down.
At the last minute I realised I'd need money, so I whipped up a little matching draw string purse in the embroidered fabric, far easier to keep on me than a bag.
I had planned to put the dead leaves fabric around the hem, getting broader down the train, but once I'd hemmed the dress it seemed a shame to break up the lovely green train and I only had 1m of it, so I couldn't add extra drapes. I just put it on the bottom of the shawl instead as that hangs at floor length and it gave a similar effect.
Beady wonderland (Posted 25th November 2009)
Onto the decorations now. I've hand beaded the front of the bodice with gold and green beads at key points of the emboidery design.
I've used an alice band for the base of a tiara, to which I've wired flowers, pinecones and strings of beads. I also completely fell for a leaf design necklace on Etsy, so I took a gamble and bought it (shipped from Canada), it arrived yesterday and it's perfect!
Next up: sewing ivy over the dress seams and making the wrist wraps.
Skirts (Posted 16th November 2009)
Skirt is now attached, along with the far too fiddly meeting of pleats at the front. I've now altered the pleats on the top and added a dart in the front as the taffeta is a stiffer fabric than suggested for this pattern and I am not the same shape as their model.
Next step: attaching the foundation layer and putting on the shoulder straps so it'll stay up!
Seams (Posted 14th November 2009)
I'm starting to think this pattern was made for a MENSA test.
I'm glad that I managed to get the pattern to match up across the seams. it's not always possible as some pieces curve, but generally it matches up!
Squirrels? (Posted 10th November 2009)
Pleats...so many pleats!
It's full steam ahead on the dress. I picked up two more types of green fabric to add some textures. One is stretchy (but it was the perfect colour), so I've spent the evening very carefully sewing it to the satin without it warping, I'm not looking forward to pleating that stuff.
Hobbycraft is a place of wonders and I've picked up lots of woody bits to decorate the dress with along with some nice big flowers so I don't have to make the fabric ones included with the dress pattern.
How to Conquer Indecisiveness (Posted 23rd September 2009)
I have been sketching designs for a very long time and rather than finding I like one more, I just keep comming up with new ideas and can't pick which to make. I've decided the only way to stop myself wasting time is to start with an existing pattern which I can then modify, it's something tangible that I can get on with and faff over the details later.
It's one thing to replicate an existing character design for cosplay, but when there's the free rein of original design I feel like a rabbit in headlights. I don't think I'll do these too often.
The picture is actually two patterns photo-shopped together with a rough colour scheme splashed across it to get the general idea. I've bought the pattern for the lower half and will see what additions I can make once I know all the seams :)
Fabric hunting (Posted 5th September 2009)
Hunting round Shep Bush turned up a wonderful silk chiffon in mottled browns, it has rows of roughly cut patches sewn on top. It doesn't quite look right in a sheet but I think if I cut it into the rows it'll make a wonderful trim.
I got many metres of pale brown chiffon with branch patterns, I'm thinking some form of floaty sleeves, but maybe a layer of skirts.
The embroidered green taffeta I found online and this is the current winner for the base dress fabric. I've never thought of using taffeta before, but I really like the embroidery on this.
Bargain beads are wonderful! Found my three forest colours in these lovely assorted pearl beads, lucky day!
I'd really like to find some embroidered/lace motifs for the bodice, but they all seem to be mostly white for bridal dresses. I'm going to do some experimenting with 3D paint fake embroidery and see if I can make my own.
I'm also hoping to put little bells in the bead strings so it'll tinkle :)
Still no final design.