Redkun
 


Costume :Ryuutaros
Variant :Ryotaro Possessed
Source :Kamen Rider Den-O
Progress :Complete
Worn At :AmeCon 2007


Costume Photos

Ryuu Model

Ryuutaros-04

Ryuutaros-03

Ryuutaros-02

Ryuutaros-01

 


Costume Information

General
Cost : £35
Time Taken : 2 hours

Description
-- A **super big** thanks to geckochan, without whom there would probably be no photographic evidence of my cosplay. Thank you for the above photos, you were great.

Okay, it was two weeks before Amecon and I needed a costume that I could conceivably do within that time frame that I actually wanted to do.

Enter Ryuu-Ryotaro. He's the main character of the tokusatsu series Kamen Rider Den-O, only here he's being possessed by Ryuutaros, one of the four monsters that shares occupancy in his body.

I knew from the start that hardly anyone would recognise me. I knew one of my friends was a huge Ryuutaros fan though, so this was basically just for her. We travelled together on the train and her reaction when I showed up in the costume was worth it.

The jacket was on sale at Debenhams and the trousers were £4 from Matalan. The hat was the hardest thing to find surprisingly, because almost all the ones that I looked at had some logo splashed across it. The headphones were a broken pair my dad had.

The most fun part? Spraypainting the entire thing. I managed to do the whole thing with one can of purple and one of red. The sad thing was that I didn't realise the purple one had glitter in it when I bought it. So regretfully I used it, and ended up shedding sparkles on *everything* for the entire convention. The purple lines on his clothes actually form a spiral that starts from his feet and twist around his body, ending in a dragon's head on his shoulders. The red is just for decoration, though I think I overused it a tad. I also added "RYU" in scrawled red writing across his shoulders.

The purple tuft was a cheap purple wig hacked to bits and held together with hair clips. The best bit though... I actually wore purple contacts for this cosplay. Usually I wouldn't go so far but Ryotaro's eyes actually turn purple when he's being possessed, so I felt they were necessary. They were a steal too, because Specsavers had a special deal on prescription coloured contact lenses and the colour I wanted was in the deal.

I had a great time in this costume, even if I got dubbed "Spraypaint Man" by 99.9% of the people I met. The remaining 0.1%?

On the Saturday I went into the Cosplay Room to wait for a photo shoot and there are a couple of guys there I didn't know chatting amongst themselves. One of them turns around, spots me, and yells with glee, "RYUUTAROS!"

That made the convention for me, right there.

Comments

Avatar Image

(smiles fondly at the memory of glomping Ryu-An-Chan)

If just one person other than someone you know recognises you, it just makes it so worth it doesn't it?

by Luki on Wednesday, 12 December, 2007 - 00:32
Avatar Image

Den-O cosplay?! O_O Wow, I wish I was there to see that in action! I still haven't seen all of Kabuto, but that cosplay looks awesome! Nice one!

by Nalerenn on Wednesday, 16 January, 2008 - 17:39
Avatar Image

I have to love this, RIDER KICK!! RARRRHHHH!

by Odd-One-Out on Tuesday, 19 August, 2008 - 12:50
Avatar Image

RIDER!!!!! AGHHHHHH I was at amcon 08 i missed you by a...by a year ^^ you look amazing O_o never seen a kamen cosplay before i wanna do one :(

by Captain_Marvelous on Friday, 12 December, 2008 - 12:38
Avatar Image

looking good. I'm doing a Phillip cosplay from W :)

by Namine on Tuesday, 12 November, 2013 - 22:19